Long-term performance question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by psik, Jun 24, 2013.

1. psik macrumors 6502

Two questions,

1) I really need a new macbook; I want to get the macbook air. Is there any advantage of getting it now versus waiting until january 2014? Will there be any refresh then even if very small? (I know of course currently it suffers from WiFi problems..I'd wait for that to be fixed first). Please let me know your recommendations.

2) For basic tasks like Word Processing, Web Browsing, HD Movie Watching and ONLINE HD Movie streaming, running multiple applications - will the current macbook HASWELL air i7 8 GB edition be able to achieve the above mentioned feats in a smooth fashion for the next say 6 to 7 years?

Thank you

2. Saberon, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

Saberon macrumors 6502a

Sigh...issues always get blown right out of proportion. There's probably a very tiny amount of people with wifi problems. Of those 95% is probably user error or a $10 router.

It seems much more widespread than it is, because only the people who are having problems are posting... Not the thousands of others who aren't

7 years is a long time to own a laptop and its impossible to say. Basic tasks such as word processing and video...I'd imagine so.

3. psik thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool thanks Saberon, I said 7 years because the white macbook i am using right now is 7 years old; and well; other than the case having the edges come off due to tear and wear as well as defect issues and the laptop getting too hot the performance is still surprisingly well...in fact if i had no other choice but to stick by the laptop its very usable but the hotness causes battery to expand and causes trackpad problems..

Anyways, ya that's why i said 7 years because thats the longest I've had a macbook that worked well;

Also waiting until janaury 2014 there won't be any interesting changes to the air right?

And this is the macbook I have from 7 years ago:

Introduced May 2006
    Discontinued November 2006
    Model Identifier MacBook1,1
    Model Number A1181
    Order Number MA254LL/A (White), MA255LL/A (White), MA472LL/A (Black)
    Initial Price $1,099 (White) $1,299 (White) $1,499 (Black)
    Support Status Supported
    Case White (1.83 or 2.0 GHz) or Black (2.0 GHz), durable polycarbonate
    Weight and Dimensions 5.2 lbs., 1.08" H x 12.78" W x 8.92" D

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

The 2013 Air is actually a fairly significant upgrade when you think about it. Much more battery life, Wireless AC, lower power consumption, minimum 128GB SSD's and lower price points.

Haswell won't be replaced until at least next spring/summer

There's really no better time to buy one than now

5. psik thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks you.