Long time Android user switched to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by octoberdana, Mar 28, 2017.

1. octoberdana macrumors newbie

Hello All:

I'm a long time Android user (Droid Incredible, Motorola Droid Razor, HTC Rhyme, Samsung Galaxy S4 & S6). I just sold my Galaxy S6 back to my carrier and I decided to get an iPhone 6s. I looked heavily at the 7 but the 6s seemed to be okay for my needs and it was much cheaper.

Any tips for how to adjust from Android to iPhone?

It's definitely an adjustment but so far I'm liking it overall, especially since I already have a mac and an iPad and was paying for cloud storage anyway. The battery life is so much better, yes, I miss fast charging but I don't really need it since my battery lasts until I get home.

One thing is that I love my galaxy gear s2 watch and I do lose some of the functionality of that with the iPhone.

2. Howl's Castle macrumors regular

Howl's Castle

Download the Google apps you used
    --
    Get an Adblocker for Safari
    --

3. Rajincajuns macrumors member

4. Howl's Castle macrumors regular

Howl's Castle

5. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

What exactly do you need pointers/help with?

Going from Android to iOS is pretty easy once you get over the locked-down aspects. It's the vice-versa which can be quite jarring, I think.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeaaaahhhhhhh…up 'till about iOS 7 When Jony Ive switched the GUI for one designed by Fisher Price/PlaySkool.

Bright white and primary colors!!! Yaaay Unicorns and rainbows!!!!

:rolleyes:

7. Howl's Castle macrumors regular

Howl's Castle

I'm sorry but if you need a skeuomorphic design to replicate the design of a real-life item (pre iOS 7), that sounds more like fisher price than neon colors.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Need?

No. I don't need it.

But I do appeciate it much more than I do the current design.

But take that as you will, because I'm part of that small percentage of people who actually liked New Coke better than Classic Coke.

9. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

You deserve to be banned just for that....:mad:

:D:D:D

Although Classic Coke is also not quite like Coke prior to 1986. BTW is it even possible to get "New Coke" anywhere?

I have to wonder if it is possible to get the classic ios 6 look back by jailbreak or a future option by Apple. I personally prefer the current look but just thinking out loud as there is a lot more to ui design than just flat or skeuomorphic icons.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!!!!

No idea if it's possible. But I do recall being 15 and getting my Coke fix and liking the new stuff better. Shame the way the whole thing went. Had they done it right and kept the old formula at the same time it might have had a following.

As to iOS 6. Yes, it's possible to downgrade to it. You just need the right device, a jailbreak and one of the software deals created for it (Yalu, Beehind, Forever Restore, etc).

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Whenever I see an iPhone running iOS 6 or older it looks so antique.... People have a hard time moving forward and if it was up to them we would still be riding around in buggies and computers would take up a whole room in our houses. Design has to continuously move forward.... Think of how old iOS would look compared to the flat design that Android has moved on to.

12. foxconn Suspended

Ironically, android has a flat design too..

13. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

The good thing is, at least from what I hear from android folks, the iOS versions of google apps are often "better" than the android versions. I can't confirm but that's what I hear.

So maybe download all of the google apps you used before and that'll help the transition. Might actually make you question why you switched in the first place lol

14. eyoungren, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I get that.

I'm a graphic designer by profession. Change in my industry is constant and if you don't move forward you're soon out of work.

But for my own personal device, iOS 6 is my preference just as PowerPC Macs are my preference for my home computers.

I don't ignore change and I don't fight it. I'm typing this message on a MacPro at work and right in front of me is my iPhone 6s+ running iOS 9.0.2.

But just because you move forward it doesn't mean you have to abandon the old entirely.

15. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

I was looooong time android user and swapped to ios (iphone 6s+)
    was great in a lot of ways.

however recently switched back to android for the few things I NEEDED.

still use ipads and mac computers but my phone is now android.
    must admit not so easy merging the two compared to iphone with a mac.

But I NEED usb mass storage support and few other bits.
    I understand why but sadly ios file system too locked down for this feature.

I personally do find IOS overall a better os.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'd have to disagree here.

Certainly you are correct if it's only Apple's services you wish to use. But I have never tied myself to Apple's ecosystem. I like Apple, but I also like other stuff and that requires, for me, a service that is cross platform. Many people hate on Google, but Google's services work on just about any device including my old outdated Macs.

Content I push to Contacts and Calendars goes to every device because of Google. Dropbox works for backing up photos.

iMessage? Well, I have a jailbreak, a tweak called Remote Messages and a Fluid app on my PowerPC Macs. I can send messages on my Mac even though Leopard 10.5.8 does not support iMessage.

I admit, most people are not like me. But I've just never felt I should be dependent on one service that only works on one platform.

17. zone23 macrumors 68000

Yeah.. but it has circular icons.. genius.

18. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

agree @eyoungren

What I mean is you need a 3rd party app just to get mac (OSX) to talk to android devices.
    iphone just itunes and iphoto.
    Although I do like syncios for mac and windows

I use lots of google services as came from android background.
    and yes it all works on iphone/ipad too.

I do not like the 3rd party app for talking to android.
    I sometimes set the phone as a camera so iphoto can pickup the photos from my android phone.

If only google would play nice and osx could have a native way to navigate the android device.
    In windows it shows up as a mass storage device, so why not in a mac?

19. chplaya macrumors newbie