Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Are skins, screen protectors, keyboard covers worth it?

If so, what do you use and why? Links please :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been using apple laptops since the G3 PowerPC days and I've never used a skin, screen protector or keyboard connector.

My laptops stay in good if not pristine condition as well. If you take care of the laptop those things are not needed imo. :)

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
I've been using apple laptops since the G3 PowerPC days and I've never used a skin, screen protector or keyboard connector.

My laptops stay in good if not pristine condition as well. If you take care of the laptop those things are not needed imo. :)

I was hoping for answers like this. Thanks for your reply.

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Been using Apple laptops since 2007 with my first black macbook.

Never used protection, never had an issue. All of my laptops have been in perfect condition. I just throw them into my shoulder bag and that's that.

I do, however, use a keyboard cover. Not to prevent any damage like you'd expect, but to prevent that glossy/greasy sheen that will eventually make your keyboard look like trash.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I've been using laptops exclusively for the last 8 years or so? Although I think my first laptop was 18 years ago? (Umm wow)

Anyway, I've never put covers on them, skins, etc.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
Same here, no covers or anything in ten years of use. Just put it in my briefcase and go. I do treat it like the expensive machine it is, the way my wife treats her electronics gives me fits. A keyboard protector would likely help with the keys turning glossy.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Been using Apple laptops since before I can remember (I was around 10 years old...) and since having my own or the families, we've never attached a cover to an iBook / MacBook.

I always use a sleeve when transporting in a bag, but that is all.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I use a keyboard cover, but just because I hate cleaning the keyboard. With the cover all I do is take it off, wash it with soap and water, dry it and put it back on. I also use the Moshi Palmguard. On my previous MBP there was a lot of wear in that area from years of use, and since I pass my computers down to other family members, I figured I'd try the Palmguard to see if it helped.

I don't bother with a case for it, though. Just a nice cushioned laptop bag for it to travel in.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Nothing during use. For travel I put the computer into a sleeve and then into a bag.

I could never use a plastic cover thing. I don't get that. You might as well put the computer in a glass pedestal.

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
Never used any protectors but I have started thinking about getting a keyboard cover just to prevent oil building up

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
The thing is that once you get a scratch on your MBP you are not going to care anymore about screen protectors and stuff and keeping it nice and new. In fact you are going to appreciate it later on how busted up its going to look.

I wouldn't worry about protecting your laptop especially for long time usage cause resale value doesn't mean anything to you.

Rmafive

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
There may be the occasional small scratch, but I have never used a skin or case on any of my Apple laptops. If you are careful, there shouldn't be any problem!

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
The first time I got a MBP, I got a keyboard protector. However, I soon ditched it, as it's bad for typing, and also insulates the laptop, which makes it warmer, and thus isn't good long term.

Just have a nice protective sleeve case for use when travelling, going through security. Make sure table is clean when placing laptop on, or just use the sleeve case underneath. I use SFBags.

jld45000

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012
Minneapolis, MN USA
Pg-13

Coed naked computing. No sleeves, cases or wraps here. I have an incase over the shoulder bag for my 2006 Macbook that has been great. Just be conscious of it an you'll be fine.

Two lame stories...

When I was in 9th grade I bought a pair of Oakley E-Wires (sunglasses). I loved them so much I bought the $30 aluminum case. Kept them in it all the time until my Jr year of college. Set them on a bed at a swim meet while I dropped a deuce and someone was sitting on them. Protection only works if you use it.

Only issue I ever had with my Macbook was when I was watching a movie in bed with my girlfriend. We set the Mac on the floor when the mood hit but ended up rolling off the bed, landed on the screeen and broke the screen. When I told the genius at the Apple store they said that wasn't covered by Apple Care.

That's all.

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
Never have used any kind of protection on any of my laptops and they all stay in great condition. I always wipe the table off too before I put it down, nothing worse than hearing that little crumb or piece of debris scratching the aluminum as you slide the laptop across the table a small amount.

jtap

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2010
I've never had a problem with greasy/faded keys, I just take an "electronic" wipe to them about once a week and they seem to stay good as new! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.