Long time lurker/First time poster - mighty mouse problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ItsAddison, Oct 25, 2007.

1. ItsAddison macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I have owned a 24" iMac for almost a year now and absolutely love everything about it. About a month ago, my scroll ball on my mouse stopped scrolling down. It scrolled in every other direction except down, which was the only direction I used extensively. I looked into the problem on here and elsewhere and discovered that this was a fairly common problem, so no big deal. I have Apple Coverage for another 2 years, and I figured this was a problem I could expect to occur again in another 6-12 months.

Apple was very easy to deal with and had a new wireless mighty mouse at my doorstep within a couple days. Well, it hasn't even been a month and now my new mighty mouse has lost upward scroll capability! What the heck! I've even made extra concerted efforts with this mouse to make sure my hands aren't dirty, etc. Seriously though, one month? Could I please get some thoughts from you guys on this. I really don't want to get in a cumbersome bi-monthly phonecall and shipping merry-go-round with Apple getting well over my fair share of mighty mouses the next two years...

What can be done here? I really love the mighty mouse and wouldn't really consider using any other mouse for various reasons.

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

It's a well-documented issue; the MM simply gets junk in it, and ceases to scroll one way or another. Google it, and you'll come up with many solutions to the problem, including putting some water on the ball, rolling it vigorously upside down on the gray knob on a sheet of paper, completely disassembling it, etc.

3. ItsAddison thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I just read through some of the older threads about this and the pushing hard while rolling tactic worked for me.

Can you have expose, and soon to be spaces functionality on other brand mice? That's my biggest thing. Has anyone mentioned on here problems with the side buttons on the mighty mouse?

4. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Funny you should mention this problem.....

I am on my second (and last) MM. I love Apple hardware but they *really* need to make a better mouse.