Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oban14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
I've read dozens of threads here about waiting, not waiting, what will you do if it isn't updated, etc.

After looking at Vista and the DRM/trusted computing vision Microsoft has for the future, I came to the conclusion that my view of computers and Microsoft's vision are entirely different. Linux isn't an option because I like to use Photoshop and do audio recording, although I do love unix.

As you can guess, this basically led me to a decision to switch. I've been using and supporting MS/FreeBSD/Linux based intel hardware since the early 90's, and the Mac Pro was what made my decision easy. I love the idea of having 8 cores and a 64 bit OS (which I've thought was very elegant since OSX came out), and I can still dual boot into 2003 enterprise for work/research purposes.

I'm going to wait because I think the prices currently charged for the Mac Pro are absurd. It seems many do as well. I'm fortunate in that I don't need a Mac Pro for a professional editing job, I'm not on a mac that is already dying, etc. I can wait.

So if there are no new Mac Pros at MWSF, I'll probably get the new subnotebook and wait for a Mac Pro. I did have a few questions about virtualization, and was hoping someone here could answer:

I'd like to be able to run Linux, Windows 2003, and probably a BSD variant virtually under OSX. Will it be possible to run them all at once?

I'd also like to be able to boot into each of these virtual sessions directly a la bootcamp. Is that possible? Will I be able to access all four both in single boot mode as well as through VMWare or Parallells?

And... hi everybody! :D

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
Good choice :D

I'm kinda in the same boat - not buying a Mac Pro for professional reasons, but I do use Photoshop as one of my main apps (as well as Lightroom.) I also really enjoy using Linux, but on OS X...it seems kind of redundant, doesn't it? I mean the whole underside of OS X is the Mach UNIX kernel, so you can use your favorite UNIX apps, or compile your own. Why would you want to dual boot with Linux on a Mac?

For me, I'll be transitioning this current PC (c2d, 3ghz, 3gb RAM) to become a full time Linux fileserver and probably a firewall as well.

If Steve really doesn't announce a new Mac Pro at MWSF, then I won't wait till WWDC - it's time to get away from Windows for good, and if I have to buy a current 4 core model, then that's what I have to do :)

-Bryan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.