Long time lurker....first time poster

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mirswith, May 10, 2012.

1. Mirswith macrumors newbie

I currently have a G5 Desktop and a late 2008 15" MacBook Pro. Looking to "replace" my desktop. Obvious choice in a MacPro, but I don't truly need one...like gaming (Diablo 3, anyone!!), but don't do any serious rendering, etc. The iMac...thinking about the 27", but for some reason I'm shying away.

Looking for a couple thoughts on using 17" MacBook Pro as a replacement. I don't want to buy another Mac for...say...5 years (similar to my G5). I'd get the 2.5 i7 and upgrade the RAM (and I'll buy my own SSD...I can't stomach the Apple Store prices on those).

Also thinking about getting a Thunderbolt Display. How will the 17" MacBook Pro handle that? No issues?

I appreciate any thoughts....this is a cool site. Thanks.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Do you need the portability? If you don't, I would just get the 27" iMac, it will be a ton cheaper than getting both the 17" and a TB display.

If you need the portability and don't mind the size of the 17" than what you have described will last you for many years

3. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

I am leaning towards building a Hackintosh to replace my Mac Pro in the future, as Apple seem to be ignoring their desktop users in favor of the massive profits they are reaping in the mobile device sector. Just my 2c.

4. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

You're getting rid of the PowerMac, but what are you doing with the 15" MacBook Pro?

You've waited this long - I'd hold on til the next generation of MacBook Pros is launched (hopefully as soon as next month) and get the maxed out 15" model along with a Thunderbolt Display. This will let you sell off both the PowerMac and MacBook Pro and replace both with one powerful, yet portable machine. The 17" MBP is powerful, but be careful with that route because it's big and heavy.

Alternatively, a 13" MacBook Air and a 27" iMac could work, but then you have to faff about with transferring files if you want to take something on the go or work with something at your desk.

I reckon the 15" MBP + TB display is the best of both worlds if you've got the cash.

5. Mirswith thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question....

I don't really game, but gonna play Diablo 3. With this setup work well with the thunderbolt display? danke!

6. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

It doesn't seem like the 17in will have any issue running D3, but if you want it on ultra, hmm....

Despite people saying that Blizzard games have been better optimized to run on Mac than before, I'd still go with running the game via bootcamp via Windows 7.

I believe another gentlemen on MR noted a ~40 fps difference b/w MACOSX and Windows 7 while playing the Open Beta.

7. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

It's 6.6 pounds...

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

We all have to wait...But OP:

Don't jump from a Pro to an iMac, at least not now...patience is a virtue.

9. Mirswith thread starter macrumors newbie

What are the chances the "new" 17" MBP (if it's even biult) will come up with the 13/15" MBP? I've heard/read nothing about the 17", so I'm assuming not so good. I really think I'm headed towardsa 17" MBP soon....hmmm.