LONG time Mac user but I still can't figure out this behaviour...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 835153, Aug 21, 2013.

1. 835153 Guest

At home I use Mountain Lion and I've had every OS since 8.6. At work I'm using 10.5 and the following issue seems more prevalent but maybe it comes down to workflow, anyhoo...

Can someone explain to me how Finder windows behave because I'm stumped. There seems to be no real logic behind it.

I have a folder on my desktop that is set to open in a certain position and view mode i.e. on the right of my screen and in List view with no tool bar. But the very first time I open it in a morning after turning on the machine it pops up on the left somewhere, maybe in list view sometimes in icon view and always with the toolbar. If I close it and reopen it it appears how it should do. Over to the right in list view with no toolbar. Its not a big deal obviously but I'd like to understand whats happening.

Also throughout the day at work I obviously open and close a lot of Finder windows. At a certain point during the day the windows start opening from the top left of the screen when they were happily opening in the centre. Why is that?

There used to be a trick you could do where you set the window how you wanted it and then hold CTRL while you closed the window or something to that effect to force that folder/window to always appear in that position with those settings. But because of the strange Finder behaviour I've had on all MacOS's I dont know if that is even true.

Can someone explain the underlying theory of how Finder windows work because to this day I still find it quite baffling?!

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

With the introduction of OSX, the behavior changed. Well, I jumped in at 10.5.2, so at least from then. Part of the problem you're having is the fact that different Finder windows can be viewed in the currently open window. This reduces Desktop clutter, but the days of OS9, when you could have every folder always open in the same position of the screen are gone.

One other thing you mention can be solved. Open a window and then do Command-J to open Show View Options. Click the box that is next to "always open in ______ view". Of course, set it to the one you want first.

3. 835153 thread starter Guest

I've set the view with the View Options like I said, but the very first time it opens it shows up different to the settings. Then throughout the day general finder windows seem to do weird things too. Opening in the centre of the screen all day long and then for no apparent reason they start opening top left.

Just to add to the confusion and to back up my theory that there is no real logic behind Finder windows behaviour, we have just bought a brand new iMac. I am trying to set up a folder similar to the one I'm having problems with and it too wont do what I want it to. Check out the snap shot below: It is the slimmest I can make the window?! I cant make it any thinner. All that wasted space on the right. Its so bad look at the where the coloured labels stop - halfway across the window. This is a brand new iMac running Mountain Lion.

I simply can't figure out how the Finder is supposed to work?!

Attached Files:

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I agree that logic is not a strong suit of Finder in OSX. I thought it was more logical in OS9, but I did get quite a bit of clutter from time to time because every double-click opened a new window. Apple solved that, but it came with a price. I'm sorry I can't check whether my windows can be made narrower. I read the forum at work, rarely at home. My failing memory (gray matter, not a chip) doesn't serve me well to test at home and respond at work.