Long time Mac user with really weird thing happening

Discussion in 'macOS' started by csiking, Oct 23, 2007.

1. csiking macrumors newbie

Hey all!

Looking for a little help on this one. Weird...when I start up and I get the Apple logo screen with the spinning dotted wheel (not the beach ball) some times I that dotted wheel starts getting little colored dots around it in a square then the dots fill the square completely and the computer locks up. And in addition to that lately I am getting just random lock ups and I can't even force quit anything.

I know that random lock ups could be anything but thought I would mention it since the two issues may be related some how. Again both are random and not consistent.

Any insight to the square around the spinning wheel thing?

Thanks

2. rmh macrumors regular

I honestly have no idea what that could be. If I were in your situation, I'd backup my files and reinstall OSX. However, it might be a good idea to wait and see if anyone else on the forums has a suggestion that wouldn't take so much work.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try resetting your pram by holding command-option-P-R on startup for two chimes. this has helped me before with startup problems.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Try repairing the drive from the DVD, or using fsck.

Back up the drive completely, important stuff first.

Drive slowing down, and random lockups/freezes like that can be drive related. And at the rate drives fail, it could very well be the first (or last) signs of a dying drive.

5. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

People say this all the time, and other people say it does nothing, but if you can boot into your mac, have you tried verifying and repairing permissions ? I had a weird font issue just the other day, a simple verify and repair later and it was sorted.

If you can't boot in, boot off the disc instead and do it from there.

6. csiking thread starter macrumors newbie

You know it's funny because it is only once and a while it does this (a little more often recently) and in all regards the system is acting and sounding fine. Also I don't think it is drive related because I have two drives both having a system on the drive...I use one drive for everyday stuff and one for only audio. And, it is happening when I am in both systems.

I have found that when this happens if I shut down (hard shut down) and then unplug the computer for about 2 minutes it seems better. I also forgot one thing that it also does once and a while...all of a sudden one of my two monitors that I am using (dual monitors) will just go black like I shut down while the other monitor will be fine. So I was wondering if this was a video card issue. The card is a Radeon 9800 Pro Special Edition - does anyone think that that could have something to do with these issues?

I have done Disc Utility - Disk Warrior & Tech Tool Pro on all drives and partitions.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Sounds like it may be artifacting caused by the GPU overheating or somesuch. Have you cleaned out the computer recently? Get some canned air and blow out the heat sinks - you'd be surprised how much dust will build up in there and prevent the GPU from cooling properly.

8. brkirch macrumors regular