Long time PC user first time Mac buyer

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by newchemicals, Apr 10, 2015.

1. newchemicals macrumors newbie

I was able to pickup a new mac mini 1.4 about a week ago. So far so good.

Other than a few things being in different places, I haven't had any issues so far. The only item I have purchased was a mini display port to dvi. I am using my monitor, keyboard and mouse from my old PC.

I was looking for some advice as to what I should consider to do next to have a good experience with macs?

2. marclondon macrumors regular

Don't rush it. Take it out to dinner. It likes a nice cup of coffee in the morning.

M.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm....

Let it sleep, but don't turn it off every day.

4. newchemicals thread starter macrumors newbie

lol. good to see a sense of humor. I think the trackpad is the first thing on my list to get.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yup!

The trackpad is pretty sweet.

Love mine on my MBP.

6. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

Wait? Why can't we turn it off everyday?

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Meh

UNIX runs system processes at night and it's harder on the machine to start up every day than letting it handle power consumption on its own.

8. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

Is it the same for Macbooks?

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

hmmm....

I'd assume so. I haven't turned an Apple laptop off in 14 years, everyone I've worked with tech-wise does it the same way.

10. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

11. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

With a Magic Trackpad you will be off to a great start.

I suggest that you should also setup a storage device for Time Machine or some other reliable backup solution.

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

13. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Sensible advice, in keeping with advice in the handbook that came with my 2009 Mini. It has only ever been shut down when I want to take it to use elsewhere (a couple or three times a year), when a software update requires it, or if I am going to be away more than a few days. Otherwise I just leave it in sleep mode, during which it uses just a couple of watts of power. The 2014 model uses less than a watt. Both draw about 0.2 of a watt when shutdown, but still plugged in.

Wake up from sleep takes just a moment.

Booting from shut down takes a minute or two (it would take less with Fusion Drive or a SSD).

Some people prefer a track pad, others don't. I don't; I like the Apple Magic Mouse, but not enough to justify the expense. I like the Apple keyboard enough to have bought one; others don't. Each to their own preferences here.

Common sense suggests a back-up storage device to use with Time Machine. It may do nothing to enhance your experience day to day, but it sits there doing back-ups in the background, which is good for peace of mind. I have, on occasion, gone to Time Machine to restore deleted files; handy.

14. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

The best thing you should do is put an ssd hard drive in. Best Buy has a 120 on sale for $49. Anyway, the bottleneck in your computer is the hard drive if you don't have an ssd. Everything I have has an ssd in it now.

15. newchemicals thread starter macrumors newbie

I do like the completely silent running of the mac mini. I can't even tell its on. Seems strange for me to leave a machine on 24/7 but I'll try that.

I tested out the track pad at the apple store, I really like it.

I'd love to put in an SSD but sadly the 2014 mac mini doesn't allow for easy modifications. It was a good deal at $400 new. I think of this as an entry level machine and if I really like it I can always get something better later.

Thanks everyone.

16. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My opinion will go against the grain of others posted here.

I prefer to shut my Macs down for the night.

I've been running my Macs like this since 1987, and I prefer the "clean startup" each morning.

Again, my opinion only.

17. Pieterr macrumors regular

Same here. And with OS X on a SSD nowadays you're back in business in seconds.

18. janitor3 macrumors regular

My mini is left on 24/7, only time it switches off is when app updating requires a restart.

19. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

It's really not that hard. Or just have someone do it for you. You are really loosing out a lot if you don't go to the SSD route. Their pretty cheap to boot.

20. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

Yeah, but damn there are a lot of things to pry off with the nylon pry tool.

That's always what freaks me out, breaking those attachments.

Simple once you've had practice, however.

But I can see how someone not familiar wouldn't want to do it, I felt the same way until I had to change a dying drive in my 2009 Mini.

21. applelover4u macrumors 6502

No they do not:confused:

----------

Where to get tools to change out harddrive?

22. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

23. newchemicals thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe when its out of warranty I'll think about an SSD. Those will get better and cheaper.

I looked over what would be needed over at ifixit. They make it look easy, but I know its not going to be trivial.

24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep!

I replaced a dying HD in my 2009 Mini in 2012.

While following the video made it straightforward, I definitely wouldn't call it easy.

That being said, I've now done similar three times without an issue.

Just think, when your warranty is up and you go SSD, it will be like a new, upgrade computer (kinda)!

25. adamcarvell macrumors regular

adamcarvell

Ive had my mac mini three months and shut it diwn then power off at the wall every night an i doing the right thing ?. Or should i let it sleep on the odd occasion i have done it the sound icon goes grey so i have to unplug the speakers for it to go black plug back in again .