Long-time PC user, on the brink of defection, needs HDMI advice.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dh2005, Jan 25, 2010.

1. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Hello folks,

I'm eyeing-up a new iMac 27". But there's one issue that befuddles me, despite doing an hour's Goolging...

... I've read about an MDP-to-HDMI cable being available, allowing Mac laptops to be connected to HDMI televisions. But my ambitions are the reverse. If I buy a 27" iMac, I'll be looking to connect several HDMI devices to its display; we're talking PS3, Xbox 360, Popcorn Hour C-200 etc.

Is this possible? If not, is there any other way to achieve this? And if so, are there any limitations I should know about (I'm thinking in the audio department, specifically; but anything goes...)?

Many thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to joining you Mac Folk, after sixteen years on the sidelines...!

Cheers,

DH.

2. avihappy macrumors 6502

avihappy

See this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=806175

In short, it will work. However, at the moment only with 720p and with a $150 converter.

Really, the MDP video in is meant for connecting other iMacs, recent Apple notebooks, or a PC equipped with a DisplayPort video card to the iMac.

3. dh2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Damn. That's a shame.

No other way into it, I suppose...?

4. dh2005 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seems a real missed opportunity, to me. Sure, that's not what an iMac "is for", but in the very least it would be another reason to buy one.