Long time to boot after Hard Drive uprade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macuser154, Nov 2, 2009.

1. macuser154 macrumors 6502

I upgraded the stock 160GB 5400RPM HDD in my MBP to a WD 320GB 5400RPM drive, and I restored using Time Machine. Now it takes a while (around 10-20 seconds) to bring up an Apple logo when I boot the machine.

Any ideas why?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. warstomp macrumors member

I also have this problem, everything is fine and it all works except when i boot it takes alot longer however shutdown and opening applications is significantly faster. Also when i was using CCC at the end after everything was copied i got some error message however when i booted up with the 500 GB WD it was fine so i just shrugged it off

4. warstomp macrumors member

So i did it, i repaired the disk after being prompted to by onyx but it still boots slow, taking about a minute to start up

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

When you restore from TM, some OS cache files are not preserved. These might include copies of frequently accessed files in "hot areas" of the drive, which are the fastest parts of the drive. They are also things like the spotlight index, and the Mail database (I think... I don't use Mail). These files should be regenerated with time, and your boot time might go back down. I'm guessing it won't go all the way back to where it was, though, since a lot of files will be on a different place on the disk, and the OS doesn't optimize the location of every file.

If you still have the old drive any you haven't formatted it yet, you could try a low-level copy which will put everything in exactly the same place on the drive and keep any cache files.

6. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it got it working fast again. All I did was reset the PRAM, and it is back to it's normal self, thanks everyone for your help.