Long time Windows user making the switch...sort of

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simplyzero, Jun 11, 2008.

1. simplyzero macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've been around Macrumors for a number of months now checking out some of the forum postings but really haven't had the need to register and post until now. Truth be told, I've been a long time Windows user primary dealing with Dell equipment both at my home and my office environment. I've had my Dell Insprion notebook for a while, and it's been great, but it's a dated 1.6GHz Centrino with only a 1GB of RAM. So as the tasks that I've been making it take on have become more and more sluggish, I'm thinking it's about time I'm in the market for a new laptop.

I mainly work in website design and data processing. Design being in Adobe products like Dreamweaver and Flash which I know have Mac versions as well. I've been interested in pursuing the use of iMove because I've never really gotten well adjusted to Sony Vegas on my PC whatsoever with it's crazy performance issues on my machine as well. Some slight photo editing in Photoshop and whatnot, and then mainly I have a lot of e-mail and then the data processing that can be done from any web browser pretty much. Nothing extremely power hungry, but I'm still wanting something that will take on extra tasks when they come along.

I've had the intention of playing around with a Macbook Pro in person to make sure that I'll like its "in person" layout and appearance and whatnot, but sadly my nearest store is around two and a half hours away. I've looked at the prices online and have compared to MacMall.com which a friend told me about, and I'm tempted to go with them due to the price difference and the more options to finance (Bill Me Later, MacMall credit card, etc). I tried to apply for Apple's "Juniper Credit Card" but I haven't received any credit decision back from them, so I don't think I'll sit around and wait. Has anyone here purchased a Mac product from MacMall and had success? I'm definitely going to check out a Macbook Pro in person at a store and get myself familiar with what kind of changes I'll have to make, but for the most part I doubt there are going to be too many.

Also, I've poked around the forums to see that there might be an update to the Macbook Pro in the near future. But this is still planned or speculated for around the end of the year, right?

Just thought I'd check in and see what others thought. Thanks.

2. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

First of all, congratulations on taking the first steps towards switching! It was only 4 years ago when I got my first Mac, and I haven't looked back. MacMall is a very reputable reseller of Apple products. Like any place, you are going to find positive and negative stories, however, if it has features and service that Apple isn't offering, then go for it!

The MacBook Pro is an awesome system - I have one now. You can't go wrong with it for more intensive programs like Adobe's CS3 and video editing with iMovie. The last update to the MacBook Pro was at the end of February, so, they are right in the middle of their upgrade cycle, so, you'd be "safe" to buy one now. Apple updates their portables about every 6 months, so, you wont have anything new for very long anyway. If you want it now, then get it now.

Enjoy your MacBook Pro if and when you get it. Come back with any questions you have!

3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Intel is going to release a new chipset on July 14th, IMO the chances of apple releasing a new MBP around early to mid August is pretty high. If you can wait to see if they are going to release a new MBP wait. But if you need it now go for it. The current MBP's are very capable machines.

Don