Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tim7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2009
Gravesend, Kent, UK
The USB C charge cable is shorter than my old MacBook Pro late 2012 cable. Does anyone know if Apple do a longer USB-C cable?

Tim7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2009
Gravesend, Kent, UK
Brilliant, thanks! And that won't damage my MacBook at all? I'm always a bit worried about third party cables and plugs.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Yes - the one Apple used to include for free until they realised it was a sales opportunity...
Since you're able to use ones from past chargers I'm guessing they expect a lot of people to just re-use the one they already have if they need the extra length... one less thing that may end up in the trash bin.

Reactions: Pencilnink

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Correct, no. Because it is otherwise 100% complete in the box.
:rolleyes:

You'd be selling it used already... if someone is gonna back out of a deal because there's no extension cable then I don't think they were very serious about it in the first place.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I'm assuming you're working with a new 15" MBP? There are other charging cables on the market that will pass up to 100W as evidenced by some excellent research here, a link posted by someone in another thread:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml#

I have since found a new monoprice option that is cheaper than the two listed here but it maxes out at 3ft. Basically, there are no cables right now that are able to pass up to 100W that are longer than Apple's charge cable, so that continues to be your best bet until there is.

Reactions: Pencilnink

Pencilnink

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2016
I'm assuming you're working with a new 15" MBP? There are other charging cables on the market that will pass up to 100W as evidenced by some excellent research here, a link posted by someone in another thread:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml#

I have since found a new monoprice option that is cheaper than the two listed here but it maxes out at 3ft. Basically, there are no cables right now that are able to pass up to 100W that are longer than Apple's charge cable, so that continues to be your best bet until there is.

Thanks for the link. I have that Belkin 6ft thunderbolt which got a -2 rating. Looks like I'm returning lol.

aronm

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
update to this thread: Benson Leung (who's the google guy who verifies USB cables according to spec and keeps them in the spreadsheet) reviewed the AmazonBasics charging cable

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-Type-C-2-0-Cable/dp/B01GGKZ3MM

He recommends the 9ft version for charging.

Hey warpdrive,

I don't see this cable being recommended on the google sheet? am I missing something? - Also I am not sure if these specs would be enough for 100w? "power output up to 5V, 3 Amp"

Cheers,
Aron

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I don't see this cable being recommended on the google sheet? am I missing something? - Also I am not sure if these specs would be enough for 100w? "power output up to 5V, 3 Amp"

That's how I read the specs too. Where's the 100W specification? Does it test that way and is not documented?

aronm

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
That's how I read the specs too. Where's the 100W specification? Does it test that way and is not documented?

Possibly, but can you see the cable listed in the above Googe sheets list as a recommended and tested product? I can't see it.

At this point in time, 6.6ft is the longest cable on the market that can handle 100w (as far as I can see) - hopefully someone fan prove me wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.