longer boot time after HD and Ram upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dirtydebutant, Apr 12, 2010.

1. dirtydebutant macrumors newbie

i just upgraded my MBP13 with 4gb and a 500 Hitachi drive. the process went smoothly. i didnt quite understand the time machine OSX reinstall process, i was mostly afraid of having to re-install every other programs. So i went the easy way and downloaded super duper to clone my drive and did the switch.

it use to take around 25-30sec to boot. now it takes more like 45+. I also noticed a few setting had changed after the upgrade. namely, little snitch (i think..) was opening a window showing me inbound transfers, my desktop image was reset and other small things like that. is it all normal? is there anything i should do to speed the boot time?

another note, there is a cd in the drive at boot, but its always there as it was when the boot time was faster. i just dont have anything to put it in so it seems like the best option to always keep it there.

thanks in advance

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

System Preferences -> Startup disk -> Select your OS X partition

If that doesn't help, try OnyX

3. dirtydebutant thread starter macrumors newbie

cool, i checked THE "Select your OS X partition" option i dont wee what i could change, there are 2 options in the panel "my new hd" and "look for network drive" i re-clicked my hd which was already the option used i guess since it was booting from it so.. and hit the restart button. it went as fast as before but isnt a restart always faster? was theyre anything else there for me to do before i try OnyX?

4. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

if that made it faster it was probably that your mac was looking for your old hdd as the boot drive, when it couldn't find it the mac booted from the first bootable drive

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

When you installed the new HD, it isn't always the number one startup disk, that's why. It takes longer time if it has to seek for startup disk.

Give OnyX a try anyway, it'll speed it up even more.

6. dirtydebutant thread starter macrumors newbie

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Doesn't sound like it's something Onyx would fix. Try resetting your pram:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

I really don't get why Onyx is recommended so highly on here. 90% of the "performance tweaks" it does are done by your Mac on its own anyway.

8. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

+1

9. dirtydebutant thread starter macrumors newbie

good to know, i just had my mac for a month now, im still learning the ropes