Longer USB Cable Options?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dwcliff, Aug 17, 2008.

1. dwcliff macrumors newbie

dwcliff

I am using the factory usb cable for connecting my 3G Iphone to my computer, but would like a little longer cable for using with my charger. Will just any usb cable made for an iphone work OK or do I need to limit my purchase to factory cable only?

2. Hooksta macrumors member

Glad you started this thread. I was thinking about purchasing a new LCD TV that would be capable of hooking up to my laptop. I was curious if I would be able to get my hands on a long USB cable for the job. Most I see aren't really all that long.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

there is a Griffin CHARGING ONLY cable...that ....well you guessed it...ONLY CHARGES! and its about 1.5X the length of the standard factory cable.

4. bug67 macrumors regular

bug67

I use the Griffin Powerjolt as a car charger. The USB cable it comes with is 4' long. Griffin's web site doesn't say anything about the iPhone but, believe me, it works. It not only charges but allows data transfer as well.

5. tcusta00 macrumors newbie

I just came here to research this myself. I've got a few of these cables:

[​IMG]http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10831&cs_id=1083101&p_id=2732&seq=1&format=2

Which work great when plugged right into my USB port on the computer, the wall charger, or the car charger with the USB plug. These are only a few feet long so I got a couple of these extensions:

[​IMG]http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=2200&seq=1&format=2

Which worked for a day. Then there was an Apple update requested on my PC and it doesn't work anymore, charge or sync... the PC just says that the USB device is not recognized.

So now I'm baffled.

6. ozblogger macrumors newbie

a simple USB cable (extender / Male to female) will do the job
    I plug a retractable USB Male 2 female into Apple power plug, and connect the iphone cable to its second end .. result a 3m long cable