Longest DVI-D cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, May 3, 2010.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Guys...

Opps, I meant: Longest DVI-Dual link cable? :(

Why is it in the UK I can't seem to find super-long dual link DVI cables?? Max online seems to be about 6meters... Yet taking a trip to Hong Kong, I discovered they sell super long Dual-Link DVI cables extending to more than 100ft!! (30M) After speaking to several guys, the oddest thing; most people in Hong Kong don't use a thirty inch display let alone three - So why is it they sell stuff no-one uses?? Baffling isn't it? Apparently the largest display people use are twenty-four inch...

Question..
    Would one notice any picture quality deterioration if someone was to use a long, long, long, cable? As per usual, I wasn't sure how long I need (more the case... wrote on the paper, went to HK and forgotten it.. lol :rolleyes:).

Anyway, I returned to the UK with something that's close to 15m, wired it up with tons of spare cable in a coil on the ground. I can't tell any thing's amiss.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

DVI will lose signal above 10m.

Much longer cable can be used with a signal enhancing module.

I bought a 10m cheapo-DVI cable and was not able to get signal with it on my 24". I then bought a goldplate, super duper mega kind of 7.5m DVI cable, then paired it up with my old 2.5m that came with the screen. Works! But under Windows I sometime get green pixels everywhere and have to restart the monitor.

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Would yours be a DVI-A analogue cable oppose to a all digital one DVI-D?

[​IMG]

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html#Page04

So ~7.5m with normal equipment, more than that but less than 10m with some special equipment and hardware, +10m with some signal boosters and other hyper equipment