Longest up time between restarts?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Julien, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I'm a loooog time MS/Windows user (DOS 2.1/Windows 1.1) who made the switch a little over 2 months ago. The longest I can ever remember Windows running was about 2 weeks. Usually after about 2 to 3 days you would start to get small abnormalities that could only be corrected by a restart. However I now have 32 days 12 hours since my last OS X restart and with dozens of programs open. :eek::eek: That is just unbelievable. It looks like I will have to do a restart with the software update. So what is the longest others have gone on OS X?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I try to restart every few days now. Longest was eight days.

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

every day.

I tried to use sleep instead of shutdown with my MB previously, but it starts to behave strangely after 2 days.

5. Tosser macrumors 68030

Every few days now. It used to bar far more days in between before leopard, but those glitches and bugs you speak of? Well, they're here.

Btw, I just had my first kernel panic in a year or so this morning. Trying to load gmail on wi-fi on this hotel, I fell off, but tried reloading anyway: "Please restart your computer by holding down the power button for several seconds".

Btw, I do use Onyx, but it doesn't seem to get rid of all those bugs. Hell, even if I have disabled the cache in Safari, I often have to "empty" the cache manually, otherwise it will not load a given page.

6. operator207 macrumors 6502

Depends on how long its between System Updates. I sleep my MBP between uses. Odd thing is, my install of XP Pro in VMWare Fusion, stays up just as long. I do not use it as much though. Just for work email.

7. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

My longest uptime was a little over 30 days and 6 hours. I was going for a sprint run to see how long it could go without a restart (waiting for it to crash). I had to restart due to the update yesterday or the day before.

The system was still going very strong up until the moment I hit reboot. I'm sure it could have gone on much, much longer.

8. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

wait, are you guys just counting? or is a way to figure it out?

9. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

open terminal and type 'uptime'

10. macuserjames89j macrumors newbie

iStat Pro

You can also download the Dashboard widget iStat Pro. Once installed in the settings enable the uptime tab and your uptime will always be on your Dashboard among many other bits of useful information. I personally love the widget, it is very useful and informative. It also includes temps, processor usage, fan speeds, network activity, and memory usage.

11. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

thanks, I've had this widget for a while but have never noticed this feature.

12. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

25 days and 14 hours as of now. But Software Update just informed me of the Security Update. Guess I'll start counting again... :rolleyes:

13. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

You know that's odd but I have Fusion windows and other than a reset because of an update it runs rock solid stable too. How is it that OSX runs Windows so much better than Windows?:eek:

14. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

on my workstation (PM G5) i ran it for 147 days continuously. I've had a file server (os x) run for about ~1.5 years and was brought down by a power outage that lasted a bit over a day. It ran on a backup power supply for about 6 hours and was the only thing running on the network...

15. Astral Cars macrumors regular

My Powerbook is currently at about 104 days. To be fair the last few weeks it hasn't been my main computer so I haven't used it much at all, but none the less that's pretty long.

Incidentally, anyone interested in a very reliable 15" PB?

16. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I travel quite a bit, and it seems like I can't get more than about 30 days before I have to go somewhere (and shutdown), or there is an OS X update.

17. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

WOW, guess at my current puny 35 days and counting I will never set a record since I need to do an update. So you guys NEVER do OS updates? That seems strange and dangerous.

18. Xavier macrumors 68020

I'm up for about a week or so and then my swap files get too big and I need to do a restart. Feels good once I do a restart though.

19. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

No i do updates, just on my workstations i'm usually 4 months behind the times (until a combo update comes out), but i dont browse the web or do much outside of media work and coding. and well the file server is only connected to from inside the network, and is never actually used so the risk of something horrid happening is very close to 0%.

My MBP gets everything new and exciting and i usually have to just start over from my last image every couple of weeks, thats why i back up lots.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You can get long uptimes out of OSX, but it's a game you probably are better off not playing. I suggest rebooting once a week or so, to eliminate virtual memory swap files, which slow the system down. You can get rid of some of them by logging out but a restart gets them all.

21. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Macbook Pro & solaris

MBP about 30 days or so.

Our Solaris e-mail servers have gone for more than two years without rebooting.

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

My Mini G4 which is running as a Filemaker Pro server was up for 265 days before we moved office and had to unplug it.

23. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Uptime is just giving me my current one ... how do I find my record?

24. Astral Cars macrumors regular

I don't see the problem with it. It does tend to slow down a bit, but ever since I put my iTunes library on an external thus freeing up my HD, this is less noticable. As for OS updates, usually I don't see them as things that need to be done right away. More often doing it right away runs into problems. Anyway, I certainly could restart, or just plain shut down this computer, but everyone once in awhile I need to check something on it, and thus it's nice to have on.

25. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I frequently put my MBP to sleep, about once a week I'll do a full shutdown and power on..