Longevity of MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ksharin, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ksharin macrumors newbie

Hi All,

While I know that predicting longevity is not possible I was interested in feedback of users who purchased v1 of macbook airs. Do those machines still function as of today or have you had to replace it already? I'm interesting in knowing what the longevity approx. of macbook air truly might be since it is a costly piece of hardware and the number of years I may get out of it does depend on me but it also depends on the quality of the product.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The longevity is purely based on how well you care for it. It can last 6-8 years or more if you take care of it.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I just posted in another thread (regarding MBA's for photography) about my use of MBAs. I typically buy a new MBA every year, but I expect them to last about 5-6 years. We are a family of 5 people, and each year I pass my 1 year old machine down to a different family member. My MBA purchases are:

2009 - 13" MBA Rev C
    2010 - 11" MBA Rev D
    2011 - 11" MBA Rev E
    2012 - 13" MBA Rev F
    2013 - 13" MBA Rev G
    2013 - 11" MBA Rev G (I think I have the rev #'s correct)

Of those... all all still in use except the 2010 11" MBA. A few weeks ago, my daughter dropped it while it was open, and it is not economically feasible to fix. So... this year, I also bought her a new 2013 11" MBA... making 2013 a year of buying two machines. ;(

So bottom line: Six MBAs in five years. 5 out of 6 are still working. The one that is dead was due to accidental damage.

/Jim

4. aaron5566 macrumors regular

Mine lasted for 14 months before my SSD failed on me. It's with Apple now, still deciding whether or not to repair as repairs cost half the initial cost of purchasing it. Utterly disappointed. Btw, I'm not a bad owner, I've never dropped it or even threw it lightly on my bed. I guess it's bad luck? I did enjoy Mac though.