Longevity of RW media?

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
I guess I was just curious. Many forms of older re-recordable media lose quality after being re-written (ie. VHS tapes, cassette tapes). Now, I know that CDs and DVDs are digital media, as opposed to analog, but I understand there is still some physical process going on when a CD is burned. Do RW CDs and DVDs loose quality or data accuracy after many uses? Will they ever really wear out aside from the normal wear and tear of handling them?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Erendiox said:
I guess I was just curious. Many forms of older re-recordable media lose quality after being re-written (ie. VHS tapes, cassette tapes). Now, I know that CDs and DVDs are digital media, as opposed to analog, but I understand there is still some physical process going on when a CD is burned. Do RW CDs and DVDs loose quality or data accuracy after many uses? Will they ever really wear out aside from the normal wear and tear of handling them?
you should google for this, but there is a big debate out there. the older cd-r, cd-rw media supposedly not suppose to last that long depending on the type. times vary on the estimate and type etc. Although I have cd-r from 1997 that still work fine. anyways, you want buy what they market as "archive quality" cd-rw that should last around 100 year, or whatever the time maybe. the time will depend on brand and type etc. most newer cd-r on the label have the length of time they last, and it is probably going to be longer than you live.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
more CD-R and CD-RW life span is a few years. I have a few CD-R from 2000 that still are good but at the same time some of the CD-R have degread and are starting to have problems and they are from the same spindal. some over just a few years old. I donlyt really trust them after 3 years.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I've got some CD-Rs that still read perfectly and they're about 8-9 years old.

It depends on the quality of the disks and how they're stored -- somehow those bumper-value no-name spindles of blanks don't do it for me...

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Any thoughts on the RW media though? Thats kinda what I was aiming for. Like how many times can you re-write to an RW cd before it starts going bad. Or does it go bad?

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Erendiox said:
Any thoughts on the RW media though? Thats kinda what I was aiming for. Like how many times can you re-write to an RW cd before it starts going bad. Or does it go bad?
I've got a CD-RW I rewrite all the time for use in my car and its still fine. Honestly, I bet by the time the CD-RW no longer becomes useable, DVD+/-RWs will be cheap enough to become the standard

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Erendiox said:
it depends alot on weather you just writing new files or rewriting files. it will not last forever. i.e. i would have a backup of everything you put on the cd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.