LONGHORN FINISHED, move over vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by speakerwizard, May 25, 2007.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Please could you put up some screenshots :)

Does this work with bootcamp? How legal is it?

3. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'm downloading it now, and will post if it works in either VMWare Fusion or Parallels :) I have just over 3 hours left apparently...

UPDATE: 2 hours remaining

5. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

6. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

7. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ohh step back Vista theres an open source version of you :p I'm downloading it now.. I hope it works in Parallels!

8. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Open source? Is it even legal?
    Interesting project but the Wiki doesn't contain very much information.

9. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

its based on the beta of longhorn so original code (not opensource) but has been taken up by the open source community, this all makes it a very (dark) grey area lol, we shall se if it lasts, for those who want an open source windows alternative check out http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html, its like a reverse engineered os thats widows compatable but in early stages (NT based not dos)

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I tested Longhorn build 4074...memory leak in explorer.exe made the performance nearly unusable on the 900 MHz machine I was using, had some compatibility issues with some old games (Jedi Knight 2), and the GUI was kind of ugly...but much more consistent than the current Vista.

I'll fire it up in Parallels.

Downloading.

And to previous posters: no, it's not open source; nobody but Microsoft has the source code.

11. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

How interesting this should rear it's head only days after Microshaft threatened to sue the Open Source community :D

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You know, with a title like "Longhorn finished", I thought you meant that Server Longhorn, aka Windows Server 2008, was complete.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

mmm ? Also if this doesnt support windows software, what really is the point as the ammount of apps will be next to none.

Worth experimenting with parallels - but seeing as that cant even run ubuntu 7.04 yet I wont hold my breath.

14. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

install ubuntu as solaris and it works fine

15. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Woo-hoo! -- a knockoff of Windows, more buggier than the real thing!

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Ah ReactOS love it, don't use it at all really but still love it.

17. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

here is the original longhorn video ("longhorn to be released 2003" lol)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=b9ifQvQCO7Y

actually looks sooo much better than vista, a lot was cut due to the high hardware requirements and the rest ms couldnt get to work lol, so they skinned xp and added anti virus and slapped a vista sticker on it.

18. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

OMG WOW! Longhorn looked great maybe even better than.. dare I say it... OS X! but only for a split second.. the music distracted me! Please dont abadon me Mac community I didn't mean to say it!

19. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Yikes.

Build 4074 was s*** back then, and probably still is.

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It is very nice...but remember how bad the hardware would look anyways...and I don't like the blue of the windows.

Also, Apple apps are much better designed in general, and I I love how this came up in the 'Related' section :)

21. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I never knew this about Longhorn, I just thought they changed the name.

22. uncompressed macrumors newbie

I can see it now...

i) CNN picks up the story and runs a fifteen second spot on it, or links to it on their homepage.

ii) A decent sized chunk of the world's hacking and programming community, being sick of M$, jumps on the bandwagon.

ii) Public awareness of LH Reloaded mushrooms.

iii) Due to the massive number of people contributing to the betatesting, LH RL becomes more solid than Vista within... a year, just in time for the majority of XP users who are going to switch to do so. In addition, it's fully compatible with Vista-only software and hardware.

iv) LH RL, being free, efficient, and stable, becomes MORE popular than Vista.

v) Microsoft whines and moans.

vi) No one cares.

vii) Court ruling: It's official, the US Legal System doesn't care, either.

viii) LH RL butchers Vista sales.

ix) Microsoft starts requiring "Vista-approved" products to have a software lock in them that allows them to work ONLY with genuine Vista PCs.

x) The LH RL team breaks the code and has a patch for LH RL available for download within 48 hours.

xi) Microsoft whines and moans.

xii) No one cares.

Come on, LH RL team... no pressure, no pressure. ;)

23. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Leopard.

Wait until the Leopard is unleashed. Then "Vista" will be even further behind than it is now.

:D

24. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

That really seems like typical "Mac is great, everything else sucks" idealism. Leopard is version 10.5, coming from version 10.4.9. If you really think "omg the new os will suddenly make everything else suck," then you shouldn't be using a computer. Go dabble in real life.

Its not like its a huge change. In fact, "as far as I know" (but respecting the rules here, I won't say why) the GUI changes are nothing to **** your pants over. A little more brushed metal here, a little less blue there. Whatever. Vista changed the whole look of Windows (whether for good or bad, thats debatable) - Leopard isn't going to be making any dramatic changes on the visual front.

25. kiang macrumors regular

kiang

An OS isn't jsut about the looks of it.
    I personally really like the Leopard features we allready know about, and I do think they are apretty big change. (multiple desktops, at last a proper backup utility, resolution independence...) But you are right about the typical "mac is great, everything else sucks": that s*cks :p really, Mac OSX is in my opinion way better than Vista, but that doesn't mean Vista is that bad, in fact I find it pretty good :p