Longhorn

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
There is a rumor on F****edCompnay.com (you know the site of which I speak) that says that Microsoft may be pulling the plug on Longhorn. It says they have lain off 62 of the software testers.
Don't know how valid this is, but if so it would be the biggest case of MS Vaporware since...BoB!

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
RE: Longhorn

edesignuk said:
There's no way in hell MS will stop dev of Longhorn.
I don't know. They stopped development of Internet Explorer for the Mac, and that was a lot bigger deal. (heh, heh!)

Comment

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Its the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but Microsoft laid-off these workers to move to "automated testing" so that instead of people getting money to feed their families, virus-filled computers with all this crap on them will be building/testing the newer safer Windows version.

Comment

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
dotdotdot said:
Its the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but Microsoft laid-off these workers to move to "automated testing" so that instead of people getting money to feed their families, virus-filled computers with all this crap on them will be building/testing the newer safer Windows version.

on release:

Longhorn = Virus :p ;) :)

No wonder M$ has anti-virus utilities its called "un-install windows". :p ;) :D

Comment

tjmcardl

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2004
Urbana, IL
mowogg said:
It says they have laid off 62 of the software testers.
Somehow I'm guessing that 62 software testers isn't even a drop in the bucket at MS. How does letting a few people go translate into canceling Longhorn?

Comment

VincentVega

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
UK
They laid off the workers and have replaced them with automated tools of some description. They won't cancel Longhorn - what else do they have in the pipeline? It's been delayed enough as it is - cancelling it would make them look like complete idiots (or, even more idiotic, depending on your viewpoint).

This looks like someone putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.

Comment

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
VincentVega said:
This looks like someone putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.
:eek:

They must be using the calculator app from Windows then! :p :p :p

Longhorn may scale back and incorporate more and more carryover from XP, but obviously MS is going to release a new version of their OS at some point in the next three or four years.

Comment

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Well, I had read that they are not going to include the much hyped WinFS storage system in Longhorn, because they were having problems.

Comment

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
rumour has it Bill Gates got real mad with all the leaks and rumours going around that he fired all the Dev staff and cancelled the project and Gave the Dev Money to charity all $750 million of it :eek:

Comment

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Longhorn will be released as a virus; it will automatically install itself on your computer, look up the personal information you supplied when you registered XP, discover your credit card numbers and charge itself to one of them. You won't have to do anything except pay!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Longhorn will not be canceled; worst case it will be something like the Copland/Rhapsody/OS X nosense that Apple went through: Maybe something like Longhorn will be canceled in favor of a new similar OS codenamed Pronghorn, which will be scrapped and re-devloped into a juicey medium rare prime rib. Mmmmm.

Comment

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Lord Blackadder said:
Longhorn will not be canceled; worst case it will be something like the Copland/Rhapsody/OS X nosense that Apple went through: Maybe something like Longhorn will be canceled in favor of a new similar OS codenamed Pronghorn, which will be scrapped and re-devloped into a juicey medium rare prime rib. Mmmmm.
microsoft already did that... back in the time of Copland, like Apple, Microsoft was pouring money into codename Neptune, it got cancelled and replaced with Whistler (WinXP)

Comment

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Microsoft cannot abandon Longhorn.

Microsoft NEEDS Longhorn's innovations/new features.

Predictions for new innovations/features of Longhorn:

-Won't work with Firefox or at least won't work well
-Won't work with Quicktime
-Won't work with iTunes or AAC
-Won't work with OpenOffice
-Won't play nicely with Linux
-Will require some kind of subscription if you want to use "secure" Word docs

The theme will be: shut out the competition.

Maybe, eh.

Comment

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
No way in hell LH is cancelled. My dad is a high level industrial design manager at an undisclosed company,he wasin charge at Motorola for design of nextel phones and all other 2 way products for about 6 years, just so you get the picture of how high level he is.

Just 2-3 weeks ago MS hosted an Industrial Design round table of sorts for leaders of the industry. They demonstrated LH and my dad was talking for a long time with a friend of his friends...the director of industrial design for MS Steve Kemecko(even went for a ride in his brand new masaratti). LH is alive and well. Fireing some people means nothing. MS has some interesting design concepts coming down the line as well. No question about it. this means nothing.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.