longshot but: 2011 macbook air dual external monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jayo123456, Aug 30, 2011.

1. jayo123456 macrumors regular

possible?

any thunderbolt adaptors can do this or anything?

2. treestar macrumors 6502

Does your Thunderbolt display have two TB ports? It's in the spec to be able to daisy chain. The MBA TB controller might just have enough juice to do it. I don't think any of the TB hubs are released yet.

3. misterneums macrumors 6502

No.

The chip in the MBA is a smaller sized Thunderbolt controller. It can only handle one display--however it can daisy chain other data devices.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The limitation is not the TB chip. Eagle Ridge (the TB chip in MBA) is still good for 20Gb/s (two 10Gb/s channels) and one 2560x1440 monitor requires less than 9Gb/s of bandwidth. The issue lies in the fact that Intel HD 3000 supports only two monitors.

5. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

hm, does that mean you can STILL do dual monitor as long as the laptop screen is closed?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have to say that I don't know. If I had to guess, it would be no. However, there will be adapters at some point that will enable this (Zotac already has mDP to dual HDMI which might do the trick).

7. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I cant recall where I read this but the answer is no, the MBA supports but a single external monitor.

8. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

There is a way to have 2 external monitors with the MBA. You plug one monitor in the TB/MD port, and use a USB-to-DVI adapter for the other monitor. It works well, and I use one daily. Many companies make them, based on DisplayLink technology. Currently, the generic driver for Lion is in beta and there are small performance issues using it. It still works well though. But if you are on Snow Leopard, it works great.

9. jsolares macrumors 6502a

You could also use dual head to go from Matrox, but i think that at 1920x1200 it runs at 50hz :S

10. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

We are working on a external graphics card solution that would allow you to use upto six monitors per dock by way of thunderbolt. Others are two but most companies like vidock overcharge you for junk with no support.

11. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I think the Current Lion version of the drivers have some serious issues. I know when I installed a Lion update recently, it actually disabled the driver (which I had been having trouble with) and said they were not compatible.

12. jayo123456 thread starter macrumors regular

who's we?

13. sloan47 macrumors member

Do you have a website you can point me to? I'd definitely be interested in learning more.

14. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

The "we" is the design division for a company I own. There is no website for this project because we are still working on development. Unlike others we don't brag or lie about products before we have it going into production. I hate these companies that go to CES and other shows and get you excited about something that never comes to market.

Example. Where are all these magical thunderbolt accessories? So far have little available and everything out is crazy expensive. But we were promised they would be months ago. I do not do business that way. I will update the forum as get closer.

15. sloan47 macrumors member

You may want to consider setting up a Facebook company profile. Even if you don't have concrete details to share now it would be nice to get occasional updates.