Longtime Android user jumping ship, any tips?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Veridis, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Veridis macrumors newbie

Veridis

Any tips and tricks for transitioning to iOS?

Can I / How do I do the following:
    1. Quickly access the camera
    2. Share media between apps like Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger
    3. Quickly switch to previous app
    4. Limit data usage (monthly)
    5. Monitor battery usage
    6. Toggle Wifi hotspot
    7. Default apps? (last I heard, not possible)

Some background story:

Just the other day I was sitting in my car, and google maps kept crashing and hanging on my Nexus 6P. I spent a good minute trying to setup navigation. This kind of sh*t happens rarely but often enough to piss me off. Often when I need to phone to do it job it ****s me over. Every time I try to search for a solution online people will say "your phone has a bad chip", "You need to do try 101 things", "Check if App X is draining your battery" or "I have the same phone and it is as fast as day 1".

I'm a nerd and techie who builds all my computers and am the "IT guy" for a small business. Even my degree is IT related. Have been using android since Donut, back in 2009. Had many Samsung phones but latest was the Nexus 6P. Used to root and flash roms but now I'm married with a kid, no time for that.

Actually bought an iPhone 6s Plus back in 2015 but couldn't get used to the limitations compared to Android. Vastly preferred a dedicated back button (instead of swiping). Gave it to my wife and bought the Nexus 6P. The 6s Plus is starting to lag, but never crashes or needs restarting.

I love Android's flexibility but in the end it's just a phone, and I need something that works reliably 99% of the time. With Android it's more like 90% of the time.

So this year when the pre-orders opened I went all-in and bought all 3 colors of the iPhone 8 Plus. Silver for my mother, Gold for my wife and Gray for myself.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

1. Lock screen has access to the camera, otherwise you need to hit the home button and get to the camera app
    2. Use Whatsapp and facebook messenger, both apps are available on iOS
    3. Double tap the home button and select the app to switch too, you use that to also close out apps
    4. I'm not sure you can do that.
    5. Just look at the battery icon, for more details select the battery status in the settings
    6. You can turn that on or off in the settings
    7. There's no setting of default apps

3. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

1. Control center or slide to left on the lock screen.

2. Share sheet, copy paste. Can be limited to some media.

3. Double press home button for multitasking

4. I saw a picture that this was added in iOS 11. Maybe limited to some carriers.

5. Settings - battery

6. Control center, hold or 3D Touch WiFi Bluetooth area

7. Not possible

4. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

1. Lock screen - swipe left - camera will be ready and active. Alternatively when unlocked swipe up and the camera button is right there.
    2. That is possible as standard - you don't need to do anything special. Just save the media and the other app can pick it up.
    3. Double press the home button...not sure whether four finger swipe right also works like on my iPad. I'm so used to the double click
    4. No idea, I only use unlimited data contracts
    5. You see it at the top :)
    6. No need to toggle it, I just keep mine on so it is always ready. It has no material impact on battery life. But it is in settings...
    7. Not possible - but in my opinion none come close to the standard e-mail and browser client anyway.