Longtime Mac user needs some PC help...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tdhurst, May 11, 2007.

1. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Just got my first "real" nine to five job. Pay is more than decent, benefits are stellar and the job is pretty simple.

My problem? I have to use a PC (running XP).

My other problem? I've NEVER had to use a PC for more than a day before (I've always had a Mac or found a Mac all the other myriad places I've worked) and I'm lost.

What FREE programs could you recommend to make my PC experience a little more familar?

Thanks.

2. Trogloxene macrumors regular

What specific PC work do you need to do? Many major programs are pretty similar on both platforms.

You should experiment around with the machines settings to make it more Mac-ish. It seems like I need to right-click a lot more in Micro$oft world. Also, backup more often because your machine will have more problems.

-T

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have been working with PCs for almost as long as there have been PCs. I will be happy to answer questions for you. You may email, or PM me as needed. I also program them, so I know them pretty intimately.

PCs do have some freeware/shareware. But, it is not at the same level as in the Unix world. One major issue is the fear of viruses and malware. However, it does exist, and most of it is very good. Others may disagree, and even be right, but MS is a closed, proprietary environment. That does not lend itself to 'open source' development.

4. OMAC1A macrumors newbie

Well, you can look around for a theme to make WinXP look like OS X. But that might be more trouble than it's worth. To make your transition to PC a little easier to deal with, I would suggest that you put all of the programs you will be using on your desktop as shortcuts.

This can be done by scrolling through the program list and highlighting the program you want to shortcut. Right Click and select 'Send to' then 'Desktop'. You can also use the right click menu to Pin a shortcut to the Start Menu.

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

and THEN drag that shortcut to the taskbar, and THEN delete the shortcut....this keeps your desktop clean & neat :D

ps.....virtually ALL windblows apps you install will want to automatically clutter your desktop, start menu, and start-up items with shortcuts. So look closely when the dialog boxes come up, some of them will allow you to un-check those actions

ps 2: dont bother trying to make windblows look like OS X. It is only superficial, childish looking and ends up making it look worse than if you just leave it alone. Not to mention the added instability that those types of hacks can introduce.....and we all know that windblows is so perfectly stable, now dont we :D

6. Angrist macrumors 6502

I have to use XP at work ... and the only thing that I do to it to make t feel a little bit more "Mac-like" is move some things around.

I like to:
    Put the taskbar at the top of the screen. (clock is where i'm used to, and start is where the apple menu is)
    Move all of my desktop icons to the right side of the screen.
    Delete shortcuts from the desktop and put them in the quicklaunch bar. ( Why on earth there are shortcuts on the desktop is beyond me, once you open one application and it bogarts the screen you can't get to the desktop easily anyway \rant)

I've never been a fan on making Windows look too much like OSX, because it still won't function like OSX. But at least with the above changes I don't need to alter my mousing habits too much.

7. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Search for the aqua project. I put a dock on my dell at work! Definitely download firefox/avgfree/zonealarm free.

8. Tibb macrumors newbie

i found the transfer from pc to mac quite simple. all you have to do is think of finder as the "my computer" screen on the pc, all your settings are in start>>control panel. make sure you get fire fox, AVG free, windows defender(from microsofts web site) ,ad-aware se personel(from lava soft), make sure you have avg and WD running real time and scan with ad-aware atleast once a week, (spy ware will kill any ting to do with the internet). i think apple works can read ms word .doc files, if it dosn't work for you download neo-office for your mac so the mac to pc document transfer will be easy.(all those programs are free too)
    oh and yeah if your not comfy with windows don't try and make it look like mac os that will only mess you up more.

9. chadi macrumors member

It's funny you mentioned that, because I just got my first mac less than a week ago and I've been a Windows / Linux user for the past <forever> and the one thing I keep looking for is the 'show desktop' equivalent on the mac.

I tend to have most of my icons on the desktop in XP and then I juts hit show desktop / open a program / show desktop button again and all my apps are back up. Less of an issue if I am using multiple monitors.

I've been trying to use my mac as it was meant to be used so I can get used to it and not turn it into an XP clone...

The work flow is a bit different for almost everything in XP compared to OS X. I think it's best to just stumble on through with it...and hopefully pick up a few tips here and there on the way.

*appologies to the op if this looks like a hi-jack :eek: it wasn't meant to be.

10. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Its called expose'. Press F11. You can also show the desktop with the hotcorners. Just go to expose' in the system preferences.

11. chadi macrumors member

Nice!

TYVM sir :D

12. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

You can program one of the mighty mouse buttons to show desktop as well. I like to use the side clickers for that.

13. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

14. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

I have been using Flyakite for a long time and i have found it to be very stable.