Look Around feature in Maps

Discussion in 'iOS 13' started by bchery21, Jun 4, 2019.

1. bchery21 macrumors 6502a

bchery21

This looked fantastic when demoed. This would essentially remove me from keeping Google Maps around since I only use it for its Street View feature. Only reason to probably keep it would be when traveling outside USA, imo. For the developers that have installed beta 1, can we get a deeper dive/early impressions?

2. johnyslats, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019

johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

It’s pretty incredible. The 3D effect seen on trees, cars, street lights etc really does add immersion over and above what Google Street View achieves.

I look forward to a UK rollout in 2020. I understand the mapping team is all around the UK this summer

3. bchery21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bchery21

Can't wait to give it a shot around the Boston, MA area. I found this article on 9to5Mac:
    https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/04/ios-13-brings-detailed-street-view-imagery-to-apple-maps/

4. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

The look around feature doesn't seem to be enabled in Beta-1. For me in Houston TX, Maps looks about like it did before.

5. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Rollout is currently limited. Take a look around a few places in California

6. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Ooh it’s awesome.
    I saw the app maps view in Houston so I think I’ll be IN it when it rolls out here. Can’t wait.

7. Alan Gordon macrumors regular

Outside of California, Las Vegas, NV is also available.

I don't expect anything East of New Mexico for a while, since the new Maps app data hasn't gone further East yet.

Not only is it considerably smoother when moving than Google's implementation, but the resolution/detail is considerably better than Google's. I showed it to someone today on my XR who was thoroughly impressed by the detail compared to Google.

8. Solver macrumors 6502a

I tried to look around using this feature. It worked. I moved down a street following a red car that was there and then wasn’t there and then was there again and then…