iPad mini Look at this hilarious article about why you shouldn't buy one...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zackify, Oct 31, 2012.

1. zackify macrumors member

2. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Some of these are good points. It isn't complete ridiculous. I do think $329 is pushing it to.

3. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

Some of these people completely miss the point. Harley owners frequently exclaim, "if you have to ask, you won't understand".

I switched to Apple because of Vista. After the OSX light clicked on for me, I've nearly converted my entire family (5 kids and wife) to Apple.

1 iPad 1
    2 iPad 2's
    1 iPad 3
    2 17" MBP
    2 13" MBP
    1 11" MBA
    1 13" MBA
    5 iPhone 4 (two retired from phone service and are now iPods for the youngest kids)
    1 iPhone 4S
    1 iPhone 5
    1 Mac Mini Server
    1 Timecapsule
    2 Airport Express

I don't buy Apple because their products are perfect or the fastest, but what Windows/Android combination of phones, tablets, and computers integrates as well as this?

- Find my friends lets my wife and I track each other and our kids (our choice, and it works for us)
    - Synchronized bookmarks on every device I pick up.
    - Mobile device management on my server. One massive profile for email services, VPN, security policy, and all the other remote management goodness I get with MDM.
    - Photos in-sync on each individual's devices.
    - Synchronized calendars and reminders: Wife and I have our own private calendars, we have a shared mom and dad calendar, we have a house calendar for family matters.
    - I can SMS and have synchronized messages on my ipad, MBA, MBP, and iphone. I can switch to whatever one I want and my entire conversation is on whatever device I pick up.
    - Shared photo streams with my family and friends
    - Facetime *just works*. Skype is not friendly for 7 year old kids. They can all call me on FaceTime when I travel, and they all do.
    - When I download a song on my mini, it's on my ipad by the time I pick it up.
    - I can sit in my pool and stream music from my mini to my pool speakers via the airport express and I can control it from my phone.
    - When my teens have parties, they fire up iTunes DJ and any kid with iOS can make requests or promote a song.
    - My mini serves Plex videos to my TV and to all of the Plex Apps on the IPads, iPhones, and laptops. We have two kindle fires, and plex on the fire just sucks, I'm sorry. The expereince is immeasurably better on iOS.
    - I no longer have to fiddle around with backing up laptops or idiotic backup software. I turn on time machine, hide the status menu icon and nobody even knows its going on.
    - I can remote (vnc, ssh) into every OSX device from my phone or my ipad and oh by the way, I only paid for the vnc app once and the ssh app once.
    - All iOS devices that want to can wirelessly sync to iTunes.
    - I can Airplay my iPad/iPhone via Mac mini to my TV.
    - Mac mini with Server gives me brain dead simple and easy to use push mail, VPN, calendars, contacts, webmail (I added roundcube back), dns, dhcp, ldap, wikis, and super easy ssl web server.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure if I polled my wife and kids, this list would double.

Now, I know Android and Windows can do much of what I've documented, but no other platform integrates all of this the way iOS and OSX/OSX Server do.

Is not perfect...no complex system is, but it INTEGRATES spectacularly, and for that, I'll continue to buy Apple even if the latest from Cupertino isn't the fastest, flashiest, and feature packed.

BTW: I did my fair share of kernel development on Android over at xda, so I have lots of experience with the platform. For me, none of this is about a single device, it's about the bigger picture and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it, but android simply doesn't provide the overall combined capabilities I get with iOS and OSX.

4. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

This is the factor that all of these "critics" fail to comprehend. They seem to be on an endless quest to find a single product that does everything and costs nothing. They are of course never satisfied.

Most iOS/Mac users are very happy with an ecosystem that integrates beautifully and allows (sometimes with more advanced knowledge) them to do whatever they want.

Why for example would I worry that an iPad or iPad mini isn't a 16x9 display for movies? With one touch I can make that movie play on my Apple TV or stream it right from my iTunes library. Meanwhile I have a better ratio for reading and web browsing.

Why would I need to use an iPad like an SD card? To move documents or photos? They're already on my Mac with iCloud when I walk in the door. How is that more time consuming than plugging in and sorting through a file system?

For users seeking that magic bullet device that does everything, let them have their Android tablets. They're willing to accept the compromises that come along with that idea. I'm not.

5. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

I'd stipulate certain Android devices for point solutions. I'm not a consumer in that market though. Integration is--and I cannot stress this enough--far more important to me than any group of features on an individual device. That said, I still don't blindly buy everything Apple puts to market. I.e. My first iPad is the iPad 3. Kids and wife all had some form of tablet before I did, but their use cases warranted them.

I also think lots of people overlook the concept of value proposition:

Is the iPad mini build quality better than the Nexus 7 (aluminum vs plastic/rubber)? I think so. = More expensive.

Is the iOS easier and more cohesive/polished than the hack job of an OS on Fire? I think so. = More expensive.

Is resale value of Apple products greater than non-Apple products? Although lacking empirical evidence, I suspect it is. = More expensive.

Is a highly robust app ecosystem with universal phone/tablet applications the market benchmark? I think so. = More expensive.

Is Apple support industry leading? I think it is. = More expensive.

So, there is value in these products for which a premium price is warranted IMHO. I suspect the mini and iPad 4 will sell quite well because others believe this as well.

If, on the other hand, you are a spec aficionado (and its fine if you are), the mini and many other Apple products probably aren't for you.

It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if Apple always had the best specs and the most features, but they don't need to compete to that basis, and let's be honest, has that ever been Apple's M.O.?

I hope I'm not coming across as an Apple apologist, but I'm simply not going to get my undies in a bundle just because the feature list for a given devices is a few lines shorter than the competition. The entirety of Apple's platform is the major selling point for me.

6. waltercln, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

waltercln macrumors regular

These points are pathetic really. You can't compare prices because these are different ecosystems. Comparing prices is the most dumbest comparison. If they all ran android fine compare, if they all ran iOS fine compare but these are different ecosystems, stop comparing prices. Just because a nexus 7 is cheaper doesn't Make it better. You get what you pay for and there's a reason why it's cheaper and I found out the hard way.

After my purchase I was disappointed I basically bought a 7 inch phone. All apps for the nexus are unintuitive and scaled up phone apps which are trash. That's the sad truth it needs tremendous work and comes no where close to the type of productive apps you get with the iPad. Don't get me started on the quad core bs that they have going on. This is a selling point that does absolutely nothing for android because it doesn't take advantage of them so please hush with that comparison.

NFC. Yes because I'm going to take out my tablet and pay for something. How revolutionary. Stylus, just lol.

And at the end he wrote that article all on his purchased iPad :) guess its not so bad after all. Even with all those flaws and things its missing he still purchased one, I wonder why?

To add on, if these features are all it's cracked up to be then why doesn't google sell the way apple does? I mean wow look at all those things they do but apple doesn't, and its cheaper too! so why does apple sell more? And don't say because its apple, that's a cop out and a way to justify your stupidity. Truth is lots of people don't even use those features after a week or if at all. Secondly it's not just a scaled up phone and the os isn't trash. Thirdly it does much more that is ignored and if you're a Mac and iPhone user, it gets better for you. I've tried windows and I've tried android, I've had all those features and you know what, no thanks. I rather pay a bit higher for premium products and a better os.

7. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

well android has a bigger worldwide market share than apple so i think they're doing ok.

I have friends who buy apple stuff and others who dont. The ones who dont are generally more tech savy. They view apple products as over priced for what you get. If they bought an apple device they would feel ripped off so they buy android.

in simple terms iphone 5 is the most expensive phone you can buy therefor it should do everything and more than the competition. But in their view it doesn't so its a con/bad value

if people are satisfied with their purchase then thats all that matters really.

8. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

I may skew your polling data then. I'm not going to post a resume, but, I consider myself technically savvy. I get enough "tech" at work. When I'm home using my stuff, I want it simple, competent, available, and invisible. From an integrated point of view, there is no other choice.

Read my previous on value proposition. Taken holistically, Android (Linux) and MS don't have a horse in this race as far as I'm concerned.

As point solutions, all bets are off and it's mayhem. Clearly up to individual needs in both cases.

9. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

exactly its down to the individual if theyre satisfied with what they buy. thats what matters in the end.

10. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

I also think the price is a bit steep, to be honest, but there's something that people don't understand or realise about the less expensive alternatives.

Not only do these products not stack up to the quality in the iPad mini, but more importantly, and this is the point I want to make, people need to realise the business models of these alternatives. The reason is that these other manufacturers sell the devices at cost (or thereabouts) knowing they will earn their profit from the content people buy to consume on these devices (plus Google devices phone home with private details of your activities and usage which they sell on to others, an entirely different but real evil). This isn't such big news, but if you think about it, they're going to get their $329 for each of *their* devices, they're just getting it in another way. They lull you in with a false sense of "cheaper" and end up getting you to hand over more of your money to them to make up for the discounted price you paid up front.

It's like people watching free television and thinking it's free, that they don't pay for it. These companies that fund television get their money, and if you think they get it from everyone else but you, you're really not that special, you're just one of the people that fund that "free" television. These companies aren't stupid, they are actually really clever about extracting money from your wallets without your realising it. It's actually really insidious. These device manufacturers are no different in that regard.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Is it possible that the author wrote this article as a joke in the viewpoint of the "other side?" He was writing the article on an iPad, after all.

12. ReValveiT macrumors regular

There's still plenty of people who haven't been converted into apples way of thinking.

These ARE compelling reasons not to buy it. It's just that you're so used to NOT having those features.

13. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Windows also has a larger market share than OSX, but it doesn't mean it's better.

This. ALL THE WAY. I am pretty tech savvy myself but after 15+ years with Windows, I've been fed up with trying to make computers work instead of having them work for me. Hooking up a Mac mini or my MBP to the TV now just works. Meanwhile, I see my roommates dig into their screen settings and and trial and error their way into making that second monitor work for display. Sad really.

I've also bought into the eco system and did a complete transfer in the last 4 years. In addition to making the devices work within just our house, I've also converted some of the extended family's devices so we can share photos and videos with them as well.

While it may be cheesy to say, this really is the future that we looked forward to when we envisioned the future. We weren't meant to have a mish mash of crappy devices that we have to fiddle with for them to work, but one where devices are beautiful and the data transfers effortlessly and automagically between them. This is how brand loyalty is earned - something people outside of the Apple ecosystem will not understand.

14. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Its simple for me , I don't like android and I have mac computers and an iPhone... I wanna be able to sync all my devices together.

Plus iOS in my opinion is so much more stable

15. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

my reply was to the person who was asking if apple isn't better how come they sell more.

But i agree with your point just becuase market share is bigger doesnt mean it's better. Just like if ipad mini sells more than nexus 7 doesn't mean its better.

its personal preference. I'm glad your happy with your purchases in the end that's what matters

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, there are some good points but some really idiotic ones as well.

17. TheMadBrewer macrumors regular

For a number of reasons, my iPhone 3GS was retired in favor of Samsung Galaxy Note. While I love the Note and have no interest in an iPhone 5, it takes a bit of work (not much, but non-zero) to keep it synced the way I like. No way would my 80 year old, somewhat Luddite leaning mother be willing or able to do it. But she has no problems with her keeping her iMac/iPad/iPhone/iPod touch all synced the way she likes. (my late father is the reason a Luddite has so many gadgets :) )

I too made the "big switch" because of Vista. I bought an Intel Mac Mini to play around with when they first came out -- and that is pretty much all it was used for. When my traveling computer needed replacement and the only thing available was Vista -- until the MBA was announced and I haven't looked back. I haven't had to fire up my Parallels VM in quite a while. I have one piece of Windows Only software I need for work and Crossover (Wine) takes care of that. She Who Must Be Obeyed has an old Windows bridge game she likes and uses the Windows version of Qiuickbooks (she doesn't like the Mac version) and other than that we are a Mac household. (Well, there is a Chromebook but that was just to see what was going on there)

18. cwosigns macrumors 65816

It seems that some reviewers (even those without an Android bias), review the parts of the device rather than the device as a sum of those parts. When broken down piece by piece and compared to most modern Android devices, iOS products come up short.

But that's not how Apple designs their products. It's all about the sum of these parts and how, after they're (beautifully) crafted together, they work together within their ecosystem to produce a beautiful user experience.

And competitors, frankly, do not approach their work that way. There's no passion for things that do matter to users. They dissect an Apple product, one-up each component, throw it in a cheap plastic shell and undercut Apple's price. And as long as they keep doing that, Apple will gain marketshare.

19. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Stop it! You're making too much sense for this message board. We're supposed to bash new Apple products and praise competitors' products based on specs. Products that we know will only be around for a short time before they're pulled from the market because no one buys them. Didn't anyone send you a copy of the MacRumors forum playbook? :confused::confused::confused:

20. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

Thats real talk right there!! Even though I really like android, I also like iOS and OSX. I had to sign-in just to give you due props! Well Said my friend!

21. blackbelter macrumors member

Not so hilarious in my opinion. The high price and the low specs are the real drawbacks of mini. The advantages of mini, as compared to the other compact tablets in its class, include its design, its software-optimization and its ecosystem. It all depends on how people value these different aspects with respect to the other.

22. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

Just wanted to say I've enjoyed the banter in this thread. Good constructive discussion going on here. Good points all the way around.