Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calviin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
I'm getting a mb which I'll hook up to my external at times. So I need a mouse. I think I might getteh Logitech VX nano with the uber small reciever. Anyone got good reviews or anything? And I'm a first time mac owner. Can someone tell me how I can use the my external at the same time with my mb? Thanks guys~!

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
are you talking about an external hd? i got the logitech bluetooth laser travel mouse (white). if you use bluetooth you'll have the uberest smallest receiver ever... nothing.

weekend warrior

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
logitech makes great stuff. I tried the VX nano but didnt like all the extra buttons on it, so i got the 450 nano instead. The small receiver is nice for my non-bluetooth laptop, but i agree with the guy above, go with a bluetooth mouse for your MB. Amazon has some around $25-30, cheaper then a nano.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I'd get the Mighty Mouse. Don't listen to all those people whining about it in the forums. There are more people who had no problems with it, but the people who did shout louder than people who did not.

calviin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
GAH! Apple has too much of my money! Then again, they earned that part of it. Personally, I just don't like the white since it shows up dirt more easily. Anyone got some good bluetooth mice they can suggest me?

calviin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Fine. We'll see. Anyways, what do I need to buy for my external monitor? And do I need to buy any programs to run OS X side by side?

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
MX Revolution makes the :apple: experience look like inexperience. ;)

Think they're on sale @ Best Buy for 50 bucks.

calviin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Alright. You guys win. I'll drop my the apple store later and see if they have one I can play with for a while. Anyways, what about the monitor. I need a vga one for the one I'm using with my pc right now right?

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Alright. You guys win. I'll drop my the apple store later and see if they have one I can play with for a while. Anyways, what about the monitor. I need a vga one for the one I'm using with my pc right now right?

what port do u want to use on the monitor?

Assuming you are getting a new Alu MB u will need a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter

calviin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
What do you mean port? I never had dual screens before on a PC, let alone a Mac. So I get the proper connector. Then what? Just plug it in and it works? I would like the option to change between mirror and spread? (Not sure what it's called when I have dual windows but they're not mirrored) Sorry about this. I couldn't find an Apple or a macrumors guide here.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Yes, plug and play. (usually a quick delay while the computer initializes and starts the 2nd display for the 1st time)

You can use mirror mode, so both displays are clones of each other.

You can use single display (say you have a laptop and want to close the lid).

Then you can have an extended desktop, so you'll be having a larger real-estate. In the preference pane for monitors - you can adjust where the 2nd display is "located" - so moving the mouse to the 2nd screen is a logical thing. (if the display is to the right, move the mouse off the far right corner of screen 1 and it automatically jumps to screen 2)

The resolution can also be independent of the primary display. (so you can have one at 1920 x 1200 and the other at 1024 x 768, or what have you) Bear in mind, the highest resolution supported is the "native resolution" for the monitor. (you can go lower, but not higher) An LCD screen will always look sharpest at the native resolution. (they get fuzzy and less defined and lower resolutions)

That help any?

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
What do you mean port? I never had dual screens before on a PC, let alone a Mac. So I get the proper connector. Then what? Just plug it in and it works? I would like the option to change between mirror and spread? (Not sure what it's called when I have dual windows but they're not mirrored) Sorry about this. I couldn't find an Apple or a macrumors guide here.

yes plug and go

u going to system prefs and click displays and search it will find it and bang

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.