Look for some toslink to RCA jack converter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by victan7300, Mar 3, 2009.

1. victan7300 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I give out my first greeting to you.

I would like to find some device that can convert the toslink from my macbook or macmini to 3 RCA jacks (typical audio jacks for PC speakers) for my old 5.1 speaker system got from my cousin, it seemed to be a waste that I cannot use it because it is still at very good condition.

Can someone advice what I should buy, thank you.

Sorry for my bad english.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You don't need a toslink cable, you need the standard headphone jack to RCA cable.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

Except you lose 5.1 that way, since you're only grabbing the analog output. I found some Alpine references on a search, but those are several hundred dollars.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Aren't RCA analog?

5. belvdr macrumors 603

Yeah, but I found some devices that would split up the toslink to the 5.1 analog connections. Weird stuff..

6. victan7300 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I need something like this, do you remember the model?

Thank you.

7. rhyx macrumors 6502

TOSLINK is a digital connection. RCA or miniplugs are analog connections. You would have to have a D/A converter to be able to handle this.

Your best bet is getting real speakers and an AV receiver.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

9. victan7300 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is a old fashsioned 5.1 speaker system, with analog plugs. That all the speakers are connected to the subwoofer, and there is a few wires (three pairs of RCA) designed to connect to the audio out. I have bought some RCA to minijack wires, but I don't know if there is any toslink adapter afterwards. Thank you.