Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
And a complete time sink for 3 hours. Back to Windows.

Ubuntu would install super quick. nVidia cards weren't recognized. Drivers were possibly installed ? Who knows.
Not something I have time to troubleshoot or put time in to.
Probably reinstalled that thing 5 times. drivers 5-6 times. restart would mean you can not log into the system. It would reject my password no matter what it was.

Ain't nobody got time fo that.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Update :
Not sure what has changed.
I only set the client to "next-unit-percentage:100%"

Only installed Windows, video cards drivers and HWMonitor to check overall temps and I am averaging 700,000 PPD across both cards over the past 18hours or so.
It has been estimating 1.4 million PPD. Getting some good work units maybe.

Temperatures on both of the 980 Ti's rock between 46 - 51C at 96-98% GPU load constantly, so the coolers are doing an exceptional job.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
And a complete time sink for 3 hours. Back to Windows.

Ubuntu would install super quick. nVidia cards weren't recognized. Drivers were possibly installed ? Who knows.
Not something I have time to troubleshoot or put time in to.
Probably reinstalled that thing 5 times. drivers 5-6 times. restart would mean you can not log into the system. It would reject my password no matter what it was.

Ain't nobody got time fo that.

And this is exactly why Linux will never be anything other than a niche OS - too often it is just an exercise in frustration!

However, if you ever feel the need to give it another go, then may I recommend something along these lines using mint 17.1 or 17.3:

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27040#p274116

Credit to Jesse_V for the original post, but I spent a few days migrating over to linux last year when I relinquished my MSDN benefits and eventually got it down to quite a robust and straightforward process - I regularly do fresh installs when upgrading hardware and changing rigs around and now takes me 20 min or less.

Reactions: mmomega

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
And this is exactly why Linux will never be anything other than a niche OS - too often it is just an exercise in frustration!

However, if you ever feel the need to give it another go, then may I recommend something along these lines using mint 17.1 or 17.3:

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27040#p274116

Credit to Jesse_V for the original post, but I spent a few days migrating over to linux last year when I relinquished my MSDN benefits and eventually got it down to quite a robust and straightforward process - I regularly do fresh installs when upgrading hardware and changing rigs around and now takes me 20 min or less.

I'll definitely look over that. I was wanting Ubuntu to work but it didn't like me... not yesterday anyway.

And Yes, I am definitely a fan of fresh istalls. Which is also why I am a fan of https://www.ntlite.com and have been using it since it was released back in Windows XP time. It takes most of the time of Windows installs out.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
So this happened last night.
I don't really have much to say for myself.

Sigh. . .
Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 8.38.00 AM.png

Reactions: twoodcc

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
haha, awesome! you'll have to let us know how it does! and so are you back to just windows again still? looks like you are up to 1.5M ppd...
Strictly Windows on the GPU folding.
My 6core Mac Pro is doing occasional Folding @ work but CPU doesn't output nearly as much even one GPU does. I believe it's estimating maybe 30-36,000PPD if I don't interrupt it.

I had an extremely weird Folding day this week, only weird in that out of nowhere I had a 2.2million PPD day. I'm not sure what happened or which work units I got but keep 'em coming.
Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 12.01.55 PM.png

I'll see if I can get that 1070 up and going at some point this weekend. I had some minor back surgery so my moving around is limited for a day or two. So Sunday I should be back to normal with an extra GPU crunching away.

It is most likely going into the older PC that I took the 980's out of just because I don't have anything else with open PCIE slots at the moment.

On another note: This Folding stuff get's addictive. Beware People!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Strictly Windows on the GPU folding.
My 6core Mac Pro is doing occasional Folding @ work but CPU doesn't output nearly as much even one GPU does. I believe it's estimating maybe 30-36,000PPD if I don't interrupt it.

I had an extremely weird Folding day this week, only weird in that out of nowhere I had a 2.2million PPD day. I'm not sure what happened or which work units I got but keep 'em coming.
View attachment 642433

I'll see if I can get that 1070 up and going at some point this weekend. I had some minor back surgery so my moving around is limited for a day or two. So Sunday I should be back to normal with an extra GPU crunching away.

It is most likely going into the older PC that I took the 980's out of just because I don't have anything else with open PCIE slots at the moment.

On another note: This Folding stuff get's addictive. Beware People!

gotcha. hope your back bounces back! :)

yes, it can be very addictive. but it's for a good cause!

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK

I saw the same thing in my stats - there was a period when the 92xx projects weren't being credited so there was a bit of a surge when the backlog got processed.

And yeah, folding is addictive! Let us know how you get on with the 1070 FE. They look to be in the bang per buck sweetspot at the moment. However, I'm in the rather odd position of only considering the outlay for electricity, not hardware, so bang per watt meant I ended up with the 1080s.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I saw the same thing in my stats - there was a period when the 92xx projects weren't being credited so there was a bit of a surge when the backlog got processed.

And yeah, folding is addictive! Let us know how you get on with the 1070 FE. They look to be in the bang per buck sweetspot at the moment. However, I'm in the rather odd position of only considering the outlay for electricity, not hardware, so bang per watt meant I ended up with the 1080s.

yeah that's part of the reason why i went for the 1080 as well. and what's this i'm hearing about getting $30 back if you bought a 1070?

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
yeah that's part of the reason why i went for the 1080 as well. and what's this i'm hearing about getting $30 back if you bought a 1070?

I think that is for the 970 - the class action over the 3.5/4 GB memory thing seems to only apply in the US, but I bought 4, so maybe $120 back, but who knows!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I set it and forget it last night at about 1am to let the machine run.

Had a strange thing I never saw before, a previous WU got stuck in the sending stage I guess, who know's for how long. It was at 100% this morning at 9:30am when I checked it. Waited a few minutes and it never changed. Restarted FAH Client and it uploaded within a minute or so.

But at the moment I am showing 683,000PPD 'ish for the 1070 all on it's own.
Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 9.32.15 AM.png

Temps sitting at 82C Blower Fan at 55% - This case definitely isn't the best at airflow.
I think I may get an all-in-one water cooler at some point to put on this card and hoping it has the same effect as the 980Ti's. It should drop this thing down to 47C at load.

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I think that is for the 970 - the class action over the 3.5/4 GB memory thing seems to only apply in the US, but I bought 4, so maybe $120 back, but who knows!

yep, 970 not 1070. that stinks that it's only in the US though
[doublepost=1469941629][/doublepost]
I set it and forget it last night at about 1am to let the machine run.

Had a strange thing I never saw before, a previous WU got stuck in the sending stage I guess, who know's for how long. It was at 100% this morning at 9:30am when I checked it. Waited a few minutes and it never changed. Restarted FAH Client and it uploaded within a minute or so.

But at the moment I am showing 683,000PPD 'ish for the 1070 all on it's own.
View attachment 642570

Temps sitting at 82C Blower Fan at 55% - This case definitely isn't the best at airflow.
I think I may get an all-in-one water cooler at some point to put on this card and hoping it has the same effect as the 980Ti's. It should drop this thing down to 47C at load.

not bad!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
yep, 970 not 1070. that stinks that it's only in the US though
[doublepost=1469941629][/doublepost]

not bad!
I was a little surprised actually, I guess it was to be expected that it's supposed to be in between 980 and 980Ti territory.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I think the card may be thermal throttling. It has leveled out at 82C and I don't want to run the fan too much higher mainly because of the noise the blower fan puts off.
The GPU clock varies between 1823 to as low as 1506MHz while Folding.

I'm running ASUS GPUTweak on this machine to monitor temps and clock speeds along with HWMonitor.

I may be getting an AIO water cooler for that card sooner rather than later.

---------------------------------

After a quick google search what I read was that the new GTX10 series does thermal throttle at 83C.
Most are setting max temp to 93C and increasing fan speed and the card usually settles out around 87C, which seems a little warm to me.
I'll still be looking at another cooler soon.

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i was just about to ask what tool you were using to monitor temps and fan speed. thanks for sharing your experiences, i'll see if i can find ASUS GPUTweak to try out on my 1080

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
i was just about to ask what tool you were using to monitor temps and fan speed. thanks for sharing your experiences, i'll see if i can find ASUS GPUTweak to try out on my 1080
This is an ASUS card and I may try to overclock it at some point once I get the cooling better under control and ASUS GPUTweak allows you to change clock speeds, fan speeds and monitor info.

I also use:
GPU-Z will show all GPU info and all sensor information on the cards. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
HWMonitor will show all sensor readings across your entire system. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
I've been using these two for close to 6-7 years.

For my EVGA cards though, I use PrecisionX from EVGA in combination with the two listed above. Which is essentially the same as GPUTweak.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
This is an ASUS card and I may try to overclock it at some point once I get the cooling better under control and ASUS GPUTweak allows you to change clock speeds, fan speeds and monitor info.

I also use:
GPU-Z will show all GPU info and all sensor information on the cards. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
HWMonitor will show all sensor readings across your entire system. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
I've been using these two for close to 6-7 years.

For my EVGA cards though, I use PrecisionX from EVGA in combination with the two listed above. Which is essentially the same as GPUTweak.

gotcha. i have used some of these tools in the past. back in the -bigadv days. back then you couldn't just buy 2 GPUs to get to 1 mil ppd, you had to work for it - overclocking and cooling was key. unless you were @rwh202 and had 17 computers running.... :)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
gotcha. i have used some of these tools in the past. back in the -bigadv days. back then you couldn't just buy 2 GPUs to get to 1 mil ppd, you had to work for it - overclocking and cooling was key. unless you were @rwh202 and had 17 computers running.... :)

At least he has backed off for a bit to let some other people try to catch up.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
At least he has backed off for a bit to let some other people try to catch up.
When I started this thread in February, 20 years 6 months was the estimated time to take #1.

But unless rwh gets back into a full stride. The new number is roughly 16 months and about 10 months to catch twoodcc.

Now you guys can't be going and buying anymore graphics cards anytime soon. My wife would probably kick my butt if I buy a 4th card this year.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
When I started this thread in February, 20 years 6 months was the estimated time to take #1.

But unless rwh gets back into a full stride. The new number is roughly 16 months and about 10 months to catch twoodcc.

Now you guys can't be going and buying anymore graphics cards anytime soon. My wife would probably kick my butt if I buy a 4th card this year.

but it's for a good cause! :)

haha, i don't plan on buying anymore in the near future, but you never know...remember, brace yourselves...winter is coming.... :cool:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
welcome to the 100M club @mmomega !!!

and i think this weekend i'm going to give mint linux a shot. we'll see
Thank You Much!

I'd actually stopped watching lately and the newer PC with the 1070 hasn't been producing at all.
Windows updated about a week ago and somehow OpenCL.dll was deleted in that process so FAH wouldn't run at all so my numbers dropped by about 600k.

Let us know how that goes.
I'm still interested in Linux, I just want something easy to setup and doesn't need babysitting too often.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Suggesting CentOS 7 (minimal desktop) from my side. Not so much overhead installed compared to Ubuntu.

Driver installation from nV can be a bit of learning at the first time but there are good guidelines around (like in FF.org) helping with the needed steps to get it running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.