Look up!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, May 6, 2014.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If this has been posted already I apologize. It has really made the rounds on my Facebook wall so if you haven't seen it I thought I would share.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Oh.. The irony MacNut..:p

I don't use those social sites.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

But you are on here arn't you.:p

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Touche' !!

:eek:

5. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

You've seen it make the rounds on your Facebook page, I almost choked on the irony.

I've made my thoughts clear on social media a few times on here, and this video covered many of my thoughts. It's making a lot of mindless people who are too afraid to talk to someone face-to-face. Or even worse, meeting someone face-to-face and now rely on a screen to do the introduction for them. As a 24 year old, I'm stuck in the now cultural norm of text this, Facebook that, messenger hoopla as damn near everyone my age is glued to their devices. Its truly sickening. I can't stand it.

The sad thing about this video, is the folks so are constantly glued to their phones / devices who watch this will say "that's so true, I really should put my devices away and not rely on them" but only 1 out of 1000 will actually do it.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Powerful video.

I think social sites like Facebook can be something used for good, i.e., contacting old friends, or interacting with friends who are far away, but yet the absolute reality of it, is that it replaces our social interactions. I don't use FB a lot, and while I am on this site a lot during the day, I make it a point to be offline and spend time with friends, family and doing non computer stuff.

7. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Beautiful video.

To those claiming irony - everything in moderation. The goal of this video is to not convince people to stop using social media entirely, just a little less often so you can pay attention to the world around you. :)

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed on all points here. I rarely use Facebook; to be honest, I don't use it at all. In some aspects not using it is a hindrance, especially with being in today's age where friends can be either around the block or around the planet. You no longer have to be in the same city or state as your friends. But if you could meet, even virtually at one place, at least you have a semblance of being with them, and in the case of childhood friends, have a semblance of being home.

On the other side of that coin, being stuck to it and stuck to it all the time makes one miss the human interaction that is needed. To be honest, it will end up being something that people will crave after being stuck looking at a screen for years on end. I've come to that point, and realize that while I have friends all around the world, I feel rather lonely because I don't have friends around me.

Funnily enough, that was the compelling reason why I ended up getting into a leadership development business. This pretty much forces me to go out and meet and talk to people, and more importantly, make friends.

In the end, I'll still have my childhood friends, my online friends, and my friends around the world; but I won't have to spend my time with my eyes glued to a computer or phone to talk to them.

BL.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Who ever wrote that had some super amazing skill. Every sentence was awesome. But if I need to take one quote out of this it's going to be "smartphones and dumb people"

----------

I don't either.

10. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I think this ties in quite well with the video's message.

Attached Files: