Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davowade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Melbourne
Picked it up from our tech supplier today.

0528465a8269aee0e.jpg

Now all I have to do is decide wether to do a fresh FCS and OS install or not.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
A fresh install of FCS would be good but a fresh OS, wouldn't that be too much? If you don't have anything else to do with your time, a fresh install would be nice but thats a lot of apps to install.

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
This past Thursday I chose fresh install.

Be sure to check your install and manually add the DSP content and the Soundtrack music loops if you want them.

Edit: Uh, what I was trying to say was to do a custom install and manually check the boxes to add those optional installs.

Davowade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Melbourne
Yeah there is deliberation as to wether to do a fresh OS install on the apple support pages. Apparently the FCS2 installer deletes any older versions anyways.

plux79

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
So...what is the best way to begin to learn to use FCS? I am interested in getting into digital video editing. I learned imovie and had been making some clips, but I want to improve and interested in the FCS.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
So...what is the best way to begin to learn to use FCS? I am interested in getting into digital video editing. I learned imovie and had been making some clips, but I want to improve and interested in the FCS.

Well there all kinds of ways you can start learning Final Cut Studio.

You can research online (google is your friend) and try to find tutorials on final cut and get used to all the interfaces and such.

You could by Final Cut Express for 300, and experiment with Final Cut Pro, a stripped down version.

OR, you can jump on the Final Cut Studio bandwagon and learn it by reading the many manuals and just play around with the applications.

If you have questions, post here, or post in the Final Cut Pro discussions forum at Apple (http://www.discussions.apple.com), there are professional video editors there that will kindly answer your question.

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2007
I got the answer

Two things you need to do: 1. Buy the Apple Cert Training Books. One of them is called "Advanced Editing Techniques in Final Cut Pro 5 by Michael Wohl. They also have a beginners book for editing, Advanced Color Correction and Effects, Motion, Soundtrack Pro. I bought 4 books for $120 on Amazon.com. You can't beat that price. It gives you step by step instructions with color pictures and sample videos to follow along with. MAKE SURE THEY INCLUDE THE DVD'S or they are NO GOOD.

Right now I'm learning how to create suspense and momentum with a scene between two gangs walking towards each other about to brawl. They also show you how to do music video's, chase scenes, fight scenes, basic conversation scenes all with the footage for you to use.

Each lesson takes about a half a day or so... depending on your speed. But I've learned so much in just a few days. I do one lesson a day.

Second: Subscribe to all the FCP Pod Shows. These guys go out of their way to show you new tricks on how to get things done. I don't use or watch them all but I keep them for when the time comes.

I hope this is of help. Just get in and get dirty!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.