Lookin' to upgrade my MBP , any help ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Goohfy, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

Hey guys I've noticed as of late that my MBP (Mid 2010) has been slowing up here and there as of late. I obviously know first things always to reinstall OSX which I will do most likely tomorrow. I am definitely interested in upgrading it though. Everything is still stock, and I know I can upgrade the RAM. Would doing something of that sort revive it a bit ? I would like for this computer to last with me for a few more years. Please help, thanks.

2. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I was able to breath new life into my 2009 MBP with a bump from 4GB to 8GB of RAM, and a SSD. (I actually did dual drives, which is awesome and highly recommended.) It made everything snappier, and should give you at least a year before you start to envy a newer computer.

3. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Do you guys prefer a specific brand ? How much would it cost and where can I find it ?

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

For RAM or SSDs? I have used both Kingston and Patriot RAM in the past (in a couple of different computers) without any problems. As for SSDs, there's a huge stickied thread where they are discussing the best SSD to use. I used an Intel x25-m SSD in my 2010 MBP and it worked brilliantly. In general I've heard Intel SSDs to be pretty reliable.

5. spronkey macrumors newbie

Upgrading to an SSD should be your first consideration. That'll make a gigantic difference if you're still on a standard HDD. I upgraded my 2008 Unibody 15" from 2GB to 4GB ram and from a 5400RPM 250GB HDD to a Crucial M4 256GB SSD. It felt like a new machine afterwards.

In terms of SSDs, I'm pretty sure the 2010 models are still only SATA-II, so max of 300MB/sec, so I would probably advise against paying extra for a "performance"-oriented SSD model such as the Intel 5xx series, as you won't see the full benefit.

For memory, I usually use Kingston or Corsair and can recommend both. Corsair have better warranties here so they're my #1 choice usually.

For SSDs, I can strongly recommend the Crucial drives, I have four of them and they've been bulletproof. I can also recommend Intel, and Samsung, though I'm slightly skeptical of Samsung's non-Pro 840 drives, as they use triple layer NAND, which may not have the same endurance, though this will be a nonissue for normal home use.

6. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Ok sounds good. So check out SSD's first ? That will make much more of a difference as compared to RAM ?