Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I purchased my first MAC, a 20" imac, about a year and a half ago. At that time I was on the fence about a macbook or a desktop but figured the imac was a less expensive entre into the MAC world. So far I love it. Have since added the iphone and now I am contemplating getting a laptop.

Question is which one would/could be right for me?

1) I know I will need to run vmware fusion on it, like I do my imac, since I have some applications that I need for business that are windows only apps.

2) I have aperture 2 installed on my imac but would want to get this on my laptop as well. I am not a pro photographer but am leaning more about my DSLR and tying to take photo's in the raw format. Thus the use of aperture. I also need to go through my current mess of digital photo's on my NAS and put them into aperture with metadata so I can easily find what I am looking for. While I have this on my imac, the computer is downstairs in the basement so I don't go down as much to spend time with this thus the reason I also want it on the laptop. I would also most likely do any photo enhancements or editing on the laptop as well.

3) Would also have MS office installed.

4) I got the mac (imac) to try an get into shooting some video (family stuff) and then doing imovie or final cut express on the imac but haven't done it yet. Maybe this would happen more with a laptop since I would have this with me on vacation.

Besides surfing the internet, I think this covers the primary uses that I can think of off hand. I do not "travel" alot. More for use carrying around the house, to take on vacation and for the several times I need to bring a laptop to a job site.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I think I would go for a MB. typically I suggest getting the best one you can afford. But since it kind of sounds like mobility is the main reason you want one I would say get a MB.

One of the Unibody MB's will do just about anything that you are wanting it to do. You can always use your iMac for heavier duty video editing if you get around to it.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
I agree with castro - get a MB and max out the ram. You can put the money you save into external HDs for all of your media. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.