Looking after my new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SmackBookPro, Dec 17, 2018.

1. SmackBookPro macrumors regular

I've just gotten a new MacBook Pro and I want to look after it, two weeks in and the screen has fingerprints and some specks of dirt. I bought a brand new fine microfibre cloth and lightly rubbed it around best I could, and breathed on it to remove the bits that wouldn't budge. Apple warned me about using any chemicals, even those marketed for cleaning laptops and I've read their online instructions. I still am unsure I'm doing all I can? This computer and it's Apple Care are around £2,200+ so I can't afford to damage it unnecessarily really.

What cloths are recommended by you guys, as tested on your own products?
    What protective case? I'm thinking Thule Gaunlet. Snap on plastic cases keep cracking and sleeves don't really offer any display pressure protection when used in a backpack (my old MBP got keyboard marks on the screen due to the sleeve not offering any pressure protection.

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

I use a microfibre cloth. I give it a very light dust first. I basically just softly pass the dry cloth over the screen to move any loose dirt particles. Then I use a damp microfibre cloth to clean.

No cleaners, just a damp microfibre cloth.

I also keep a microfibre cloth between the screen and keyboard when it's closed. I got mine from Radtech.

3. puma1552 Suspended

I would get a Radtech microfiber to go between the keys/trackpad and the screen. Several weeks with my new machine and no ill effects on the screen with this cloth in there.

4. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Do you use the one that only covers the keyboard or the whole thing?

5. puma1552 Suspended

whole thing

6. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

And you have no problems closing it?

7. puma1552 Suspended

nope