Looking ahead to the iPad 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mproudfoot, Nov 21, 2010.

1. mproudfoot macrumors member

mproudfoot

I can't buy an iPad because the iPad 2 is (assumed) out soon. However, I can't get an iPad 2 because the iPad 3 is due less than a year after the iPad 2 is available. To be safe and make sure I'm not buiying some under-specced obsolete model, I'm waiting for the iPad 4.

Just kidding but the amout of threads about a device with which the specs or dates have not been released and it's existence has only been guessed is rather incredible :p

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

And if you're going to wait that long, might well make it worth it and get the iPad 5 with wigig and 6G

3. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I know this is a joke; but, I but am going to buy the 2nd gen, sell it when the 4th gen comes out, buy the 4th gen, sell it when the 6th gen comes out, buy the 6th gen etc.

I do the same with Macs as well: Buy next iMac, skip a generation, sell it, buy the new one, skip a generation, sell it, buy the new one, skip a generation, sell it, buy the new one,skip a generation, sell it, buy the new one etc.

4. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Who needs 6g, when you can tether with mywi 8.0. Or hopefully those implanted wifi base stations will be available by then.

5. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

See now that's a good plan. I haven't owned macs long enough to incorporate that, plus I don't have then spare income right now either, but is a solid plan to stick to. That way you never pay full price for a computer or iDevice.

6. theone09 macrumors regular

Yeah, i will wait until the iPad 10 because i dont have
    much money now. i am sure i have enough at the time
    when the ipad is 10 coming out :D ... just kidding :D

7. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

If I see a new device that I think will have a positive impact on my life/work, I go ahead and buy it. No sense waiting for a year or two for subsequent generations.

Once I have a device, I usually will skip a generation before buying the next model. Unless you're uber-rich, skipping generations generally makes sense with major technology purchases, as your year old device is still very functional and well supported.

The other thing I do, is hand-me-down tech through the family. Not everyone needs the latest generation, and a gently used iPad, iPod Touch, or MacBook makes a great gift.

8. DeuxIt macrumors member

haha! are you judging me? i actually waited till iPhone 4 before buying an iPhone. Original was nice, but wouldn't copy and paste and lacked certain app functionality i needed. 3g and 3gs were just so ugly and unremarkable. i wanted to have an iPhone but couldn't bare to drop that cash on something so meh. but 4!! was a no brainer. had to wait out 3 product cycles to finally pull the plug.

9. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Yeah, In that plan I better don't get anything, or buy the current one with some one way ticket to the middle of nowhere where i won't know a new one is out

10. Gli.Azzuri, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

Gli.Azzuri macrumors member

Reality is that you will buy the iPad 3 because you will like what you see.

11. Gli.Azzuri macrumors member

Haha did the exact same thing, because the 3gs pretty much got a compass as an upgrade and i wasn't convinced.

12. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

agreed. I think the iPad2 will look identical to the iPad. But the iPad3 will be a larger physical revision.

13. tdowg5000 macrumors newbie

tdowg5000

iPad

I plan on buying the next gen iPad, wish they would release by Christmas, but looks like it's going to be a little bit after :( .

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I've adapted a lifestyle with Apple updates. I understand that my employment affords me the new revision. My Apple products are rentals. I take very good care and sell them on eBay. The price minus original cost divided by number of months owned usually equates to:

MacBook Air = $35/month
    iPhone = $10/month
    MacPro = $10/month*

*Had it for three years.

15. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Best post ever. I am exactly the same. My friends sit and wait around the six month mark they start asking me what I will be doing with my old stuff. I change computers every six to eight months. Used to change phones every 6 months but Apple releases yearly so I sit on the iPhone for a year but then its gone. Same with the iPad. It will go once the iPad2 lands. Just bought a MBA 11 inch. Will probably keep that until the new version is announced and this is gone as well.