Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
2015 - 256GB memory - 16GB ram - i7 2.2GHz
Looking at storing images on external drives,
Is 256GB plenty for Adobe PS and LR and other software ?
Thinking of using for travel as I have an iMac at home but need PP on the road
......Gary

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
If you avoid music and video, and putting your image files on an external, you should have plenty of space. I run a 1tb rMBP. Take away image files only and I'm down to 160gb used. That's includes Lightroom, C1 and a smattering of small video files. Images catalogued are 40,000 with 2,880 preview sizes.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
You'll have lots of room if your photos are stored on an external drive. Your looking at about 4.5 GB for Lr & Ps. I've done the same and have 200 GB free on my rMBP with 256 GB of storage.

If flying, my only suggestion is to be very aware of weight limitations with carry-on luggage. I carry a lot of camera gear weight so have now opted for lots of memory cards and processing when I get home. Of course this may not work for your needs.

~ Peter

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
If you avoid music and video, and putting your image files on an external, you should have plenty of space. I run a 1tb rMBP. Take away image files only and I'm down to 160gb used. That's includes Lightroom, C1 and a smattering of small video files. Images catalogued are 40,000 with 2,880 preview sizes.
Tks Ray
There is a 2014 512GB for similar price but thought the later 2015 may have better graphics ?
........Gary
[doublepost=1458433020][/doublepost]
You'll have lots of room if your photos are stored on an external drive. Your looking at about 4.5 GB for Lr & Ps. I've done the same and have 200 GB free on my rMBP with 256 GB of storage.

If flying, my only suggestion is to be very aware of weight limitations with carry-on luggage. I carry a lot of camera gear weight so have now opted for lots of memory cards and processing when I get home. Of course this may not work for your needs.

~ Peter
Tks Peter
Much appreciated, will be in the 4x4 most of the time, like you, I always carry "a hat full of cards" and do not delete until I'm back home and backed up
Glad I have a D4s and not a D810
.......Gary

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
No, 256 GB is not plenty. I've had a 13" MacBook Pro with 256 GB for ~2 years and then upgraded to one with 1 TB. With 256 GB I was constantly running out of space, even if I just kept some photos and some on there. All of this could have been mitigated by always carrying around an external drive, but what's the point of that? I'd recommend at least 512 GB.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
One of my MBP has 512 GB and right now the only software I installed was LR. I have about 23GB of Raw files with probably some of Apple stuff. If you shoot videos that number will add up quick. If you get a Mac with 512GB storage, you really are getting around 499GB. I haven't upgraded to the current OS. So possibly that number will be at least 2-3GB less.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
No, 256 GB is not plenty. I've had a 13" MacBook Pro with 256 GB for ~2 years and then upgraded to one with 1 TB. With 256 GB I was constantly running out of space, even if I just kept some photos and some on there. All of this could have been mitigated by always carrying around an external drive, but what's the point of that? I'd recommend at least 512 GB.
Tks, good point,
Budget is OK for a refurb 2014 512GB, I7 2.5GHz 16GB ram,
A "new" 512GB is out of budget unfortunately
.........Gary
[doublepost=1458452438][/doublepost]
One of my MBP has 512 GB and right now the only software I installed was LR. I have about 23GB of Raw files with probably some of Apple stuff. If you shoot videos that number will add up quick. If you get a Mac with 512GB storage, you really are getting around 499GB. I haven't upgraded to the current OS. So possibly that number will be at least 2-3GB less.
Tks for the feedback,
Much appreciated, a going to pull the trigger very soon
.........Gary

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Along with some of the others who have already posted, I'd recommend the 512 GB SSD, also. Indeed, it is what I have. These days, 256GB is not really sufficient, especially for visual work. Images and videos demand a lot of space.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I believe Gary's point is that he's using external drives for photo storage while travelling then loads them onto his iMac when home. Personally, I wouldn't travel with the thought of storing everything on a laptop drive either...512 GB wouldn't be enough.

The option I went with is the smallest of the more expensive internal storage with the option of unlimited and very inexpensive external storage. It's true that you can really never have enough space for storage of media files.

~ Peter

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
For the OP's intend use, a 256 makes a lot of sense. Can always get a JetDrive to offload for big shoots. While slow, they're a lot handier than an external drive. When traveling I keep a downsized iTunes library on one. When my wife had a 256gb Air, she kept a "travel" Lightroom catalog on her ssd and the image files on the JetDrive.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Tks Guys
I should be home tonight, been away with poor communications,
All your help has been much appreciated, thank you,
Have decided that I will get the refurb 512GB, (if it's still there 2night!),
Very tempted to pull the trigger now but not trusting this old iPad, keeps freezing up,
Perhaps a later model refurb iPad as well
......Gary

tcphoto1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Nashville, TN
I make my living shooting and have a 250GB Samsung SSD in my MBP. I use multiple G Technology externals for RAW files, edited images and business documents plus another for Time Machine. I usually stay about 80GB used on the SSD and have never had a problem with it. I may step up to a 500GB drive when I replace the MBP but I don't think it's essential.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
I make my living shooting and have a 250GB Samsung SSD in my MBP. I use multiple G Technology externals for RAW files, edited images and business documents plus another for Time Machine. I usually stay about 80GB used on the SSD and have never had a problem with it. I may step up to a 500GB drive when I replace the MBP but I don't think it's essential.
Tks for the feedback,
Im a wildlife guy and to tend to shoot too many I guess,
especially since Ive had the D4s :)
......Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.