Looking at a base level 13" MBP question about SSD vs Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThoseBackPages, Nov 6, 2011.

1. ThoseBackPages macrumors regular

i hope you can give me some insight. i am looking for a new computer and have narrowed it down to 13" MBP vs 13" MBA

i am not a computer person. im not old, but im not young. i am set in my ways. i like the internet, message boards, and photobucket. i dont know all the computer "lingo", but i like things to run smoothly, and run when they are supposed to.

with my new purchase, i am looking to replace my 2007 iMac Aluminum 20", the "base" model release at the time. this machine still runs pretty well, but is getting a little long in the tooth, and i'd like to treat myself to something new.

this iMac has 1G of ram, so any machine that i get that has 4G is going to be miles faster (to me anyway)

so, my question is, am *I* going to really notice anything by "upgrading" to a SSD vs the 500g Hard Drive?

i appreciate you taking the time to read my post.

2. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Yes, the computer and applications will start up faster with an SSD. Data Transfer will also be faster. Outside of that, the experience of actually using an application (once loaded) will probably not be any different. You can get an SSD in the MBP too, either install it yourself or have it come pre-installed by Apple (generally more expensive in larger capacities).

3. ThoseBackPages thread starter macrumors regular

Thank You for your input. as someone that is not a computer person, i think im better off going with the 500g hard drive

4. ThoseBackPages thread starter macrumors regular

5. steveca macrumors 6502

Almost anyone is fine with a normal HDD but SSD are phenomenal indeed.

6. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

It's your call. SSDs are great, but don't make as profound a difference as some claim they do. As for not being a computer person, I think you're a better fit for an SSD, as "non-computer" people usually have lower storage demands.

7. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

It all comes down to this:

1. Are you willing to wait a few extra seconds for OSX to boot up and for some applications to load?
    2. Are you willing to sacrifice the higher capacity of a standard hard drive for a more expensive, lower capacity, but faster drive?

The fact that you have a 13" MBP alone is a fair indication that you don't really need the higher performance and speed of a SSD. It would be similar to putting Z-rated performance tires on a Toyota Yaris. You could do it, but why spend the money to do so?

8. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

It may not be worth it for you, especially if you're not set on it.