Looking at a new 13 rMBP, got a couple ?'s

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zmon, Mar 24, 2015.

1. zmon macrumors member

I've been thinking about picking up a '15 13 rMBP. I'm coming from a i7 2630qm, AMD 6630m/HD3000, 8gb 1333mhz and a 1366x768 display, so I'm curious what sort of boosts/hits I'll be taking when I replace my current laptop.

CPU wise, I'm expecting a hit in performance, but I assume it isn't that much with the i5 5257u?

I'm not sure how well the Iris 6100 compares to the 6630m though (It bit the dust recently, so I've been stuck with the HD3000). I do some light gaming and PS work which the 6630m was fairly adequate for, so I'm curious if I can expect the same thing from the Iris 6100?

Besides those two things, everything else is basically much better compared to my current laptop. Thanks guys.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The Iris 6100 is better than the 6630M, that's for sure. Even the 5100 is at least on par, if not better.

3. zmon thread starter macrumors member

Really? That'd be fantastic if you're right. Just an FYI, the 6630m in my laptop has 1gb of vram, unlike the gimped mac mini from a few years back, if that matters in your response.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Much of a muchness

I took a look at the benchmarks and that AMD is a better gaming card but worse in open CL. If you had a quad core then it'll be faster in multicore apps slower in single core apps.

All in all I think you'll find them much of a muchness performance wise the PCIe SSD in the macbook will blow you away with app opening times, writing to disk boot up times and just fast fluid computer use etc.

Remember if you buy from apple you get a 14 day return period no questions asked so get one and give it a whirl if you don't like it take it back and look at the 14 inch razer blade for all your gaming needs..