looking at buying a Mac Pro (desktop), now not the best time?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zano, Sep 23, 2009.

  1. zano macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2009
    #1
    Hi all,

    I'm setting up a music studio and I've decided to go with a Mac Pro for my computer system, but after reading the buying guide I'm not sure whether to buy it now or to wait for the new update. I kind of need it, but its not urgent...If you get what I mean. I defiantly needed it by early march next year so I'm hoping if they do release an update it will be by then

    Basically I was going to buy:
    2.93 Quad-core
    8 GB of memory
    2x 1TB hard drives
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
    AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card with 802.11n

    After reading a few forums it seems the speculation for the new update is just going to be a faster processor? which I'm thinking will be a bit more expensive. I don't want to spend more than $8, 750.00 (USD) on it.
    I mean I'm quite happy with a quad-core 2.93 (isn't it the Core i7?)

    anyway I just need some guidance I'm a bit confused :confused:

    Thanks so much,
    Zano.
     
  2. filmweaver macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    #2
    Just jump in and start. If we all waited for the next big update nobody would ever buy a computer, the next is always just around the corner. If you wait for the next update it will just cost more, like anything else.

    Good Luck
     
  3. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #3
    The buyer's guide is pretty poor because it goes on previous releases and not Intel's schedule. I mean it includes the days between PowerMac updates which have no relevance to Mac Pro updates.

    New processors are scheduled for Q2 2010. So April to June depending on how competative AMD are. All that seems likely at this stage regarding processors are Apple offering faster processors for more (which you can do yourself now), slightly faster processors if intel revise the range, or just a couple more cores.
     
  4. zano thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2009
    #4
    I think I might wait till the end of October, just to make sure they don't release anything new on me straight after I buy it. :)

    Its so confusing buying a :apple:

    zano.
     
  5. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

    Ace134blue

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    #5
    Yes i would wait till the end of october, and yes the 2.93 is the equivalent to an i7 940. If i were you i would get the 8 core 2.66 ghz and a gtx 285 since its below the price you want to spend.:rolleyes:
     
  6. Plutonius macrumors 603

    Plutonius

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    #6
    The 2.93 quad core is a nice machine. Be sure to get the video card upgrade and to add any extra memory yourself.
     
  7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

    fireshot91

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2008
    Location:
    Northern VA
    #7
    Buy your RAM from either Crucial.com or newegg.com. Apple's RAM is definitely the same thing as those (Other than maybe brand), and costs more.
     
  8. zano thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2009
    #8
    So should I also buy and add the extra hard drives as well or just the memory? (I need 2x 1TB hard drives)

    also would Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon be more powerful than one 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon? (than sounds like a stupid question but Im not that great with processors)

    what would be the clocking speed with two 2.64GHz? would it just read as two different processors....once again so confusing hahah

    thanks again guys!
    zano.
     
  9. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

    Baunkjaer

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #9
    2x2,26GHz will be way waster than an single 2,93GHz as long as the application is written for more than 4 cores.
    The clocking speed of 2x2,26Ghz will still be 2,26Ghz for each core.

    I intend to invest in a MP next spring, and I´ll settle for the quadcore. I´ve tried one in a PC, and the power of the Nehalem CPU is awsome.
    I´ll buy the basic and then add additional RAM and HDD from another vendor than Apple in order to save money. The price for MP in Denmark is skyhigh
     
  10. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    #10
    Generally speaking buying hard disks and ram from apple is a very expensive move, but I suppose it brings them all under the same apple warranty which might be convenient. RAM you have to think about because of the way it comes. If you have a finite number of RAM slots you might prefer Apple's 8gb (4x2gb) to the default 6 (6x1GB), but you've got to do the thinking, because I don't know anything about these fancy mac pros.

    In terms of raw power the 8 cores are a good deal better than the four. Which is best for you depends on how multi-threaded (able to use the cores at the same time, in parallel) your software is, and how much multitasking you do. What are you going to use this system for?
     
  11. zano thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2009
    #11
    ^ I'm only going to be using it for Music creation with a set up of:

    MIDI keyboard/controller (VIA USB)
    'M-AUDIO' audio interface (profire 610 VIA Firewire)

    software:
    Cubase 5

    Sound libraries:
    7 VST instruments (which require all the Ram and processor speed to run, very big files and software, they all add up to be some 600GB worth. (I REALLY don't think they have been written for 8 cores?)

    TO be honest I never knew that software had to be written for 8 cores
    I think I might stick with a single quad core then to be safe? what do you guys think?
     
  12. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

    Baunkjaer

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #12
    Well, if the 8 core wasn´t so damn expensive in DK, I would go for it. On the other hand I think the quad wold be adequate for your demand.
     

Share This Page