Looking at Buying a Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by toxictrix, May 29, 2009.

1. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

So I have been browsing craigslist for the past few weeks and finally have come across a macbook I'm interested in.

Its the unibody macbook 2.4 ghz all stock.

He purchases it in March of this year and sent me the serial number which i ran and the warantee confirms this. He has the box and everything that came with the laptop. Also, it has iLife, iWork, and Office installed.

He want 900 dollars for it and I am meeting him at Starbucks tomorrow to try it out.

What do you guys think of this? Decent price? He seems to be legit and I will be buying it in person. Also, what would you guys recommend I check for?

Is there anyway to see if moisture sensors have changed color or anything?

Also, if this is in the wrong section could someone please move it? I am new and was not sure where it should go.

Thanks.

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

3. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

4. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

As always, err on the side of caution. That's a really good price, and it really could be legit. If he has the install discs and all the original material, then chances are it's good to go. Also since you're meeting him in person, you'll most likely be able to pick up on whether it's a shady deal or not.

Maybe give apple a call and see if they have that serial number listed as stolen or anything as well.

Best of luck, and congrats on finding such a good deal!

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...as long as its not stolen, has all software install disks and is as new as you say so applecare can be added - that's a fantastic deal.

6. toxictrix thread starter macrumors 6502a

I figured that since he has the box it would be a bit harder to be considered stolen. I checked the serial number on apples website and the warantee is good through March. Calling apple to see if it is stolen is a great idea and i will call them first thing tomorrow.

Thanks guys. Any other suggestions on inspecting the laptop?

7. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

I would ask him to turn it on and check the specs...Just a precautionary.

But overall, that's a great deal if it's legit!

8. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

9. shwc macrumors regular

Be Careful!
    Check the serial number of the unit he gives you in his presence and make sure the computer boots. Do Not let the seller "box" the computer up for you. Do not let the actual computer out of your sight during the transaction.

The person in question is probably on the level, but read this cautionary tale.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

yep this scenario sounds very familiar.