Looking at buying a mifi for pay as you go use.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by erch63, Apr 5, 2010.

1. erch63 macrumors member

I am looking to purchase a mifi type wireless device, that I can use pay as you go. I will really only use it for travel, which I do infrequently. Most places I go have wifi available. I thought I heard somewhere that boost mobile offers a pay as you go unlimited data, however it is listed not listed on their site.

My questions are what advise including hardware and provider info can you give me.

Thanks.

Please do not turn this into a jailbreak your phone forum, I do not want to do this yet, but may in the future. I am unsure about the ability to do so currently because I have the latest system software on my 3g. I would jailbreak it once I get the new phone but later in the year. So I need something now.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You want to unlock, rather than jailbreak (which is much, much easier than it used to be if you use blackrain).

My loving spouse recently dug around for options and the only thing he could find was an unlock followed t-mobile's pre-pay. That said, I'm not sure how hard or long he looked.

3. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

First question, where do you live? This makes a lot of difference with what wireless carrier you can use. I for example live in the UK and have a Three Pay as you go MiFi made by Huawei. I pay £10 and get 1GB which is valid for 30 days. £15 is 3GB and so on. It isn't a £10 a month thing, if the 30 days elapse and I haven't topped it up, no worries, I just top it up with £10 at another date and get 30 days from that date.

pac

4. erch63 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I should have added that information. I live in Wisconsin, USA. I mostly travel to Minnesota, and Florida, although other places from time to time.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Oh I'm sorry to hear that...:cool:

(born and raised in Kenosha...ha ha)

6. belvdr macrumors 603

7. racer1441 macrumors 68000

8. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I'm in Columbus, WI and use Verizon Wireless MiFi all around WI, MN, and IL. As far as a pay-as-you-go offering, I think there might be something like that available from Cricket.

9. jwtucker macrumors newbie

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

11. erch63 thread starter macrumors member

I agree that the craddle point might be my solution with either cricket or virgin mobile as my provider. I guess it would be best especially since the pending 4g devices would make anything else somewhat obsolete. Iassume the craddle point would also support new 4g modems when available. However after thinking about the general pain of setup and actually incurring more cost to have something I already pay for I think I have resigned myself to the fact I should just jailbreak my 3g. However I have the latest software on it which requires use of redsnow, and does not allow unlocking, which I guess I am fine with. Here I come mifi and internet tethering, I have been more than patient with you, at&t, but you have left me no choice.

Thanks as always for all the responses. I am off for some jailbreak advice in the forums.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You could also look into getting a cheap S60 Nokia 3G device and possible getting AT&T prepaid and such. For example I use a Nokia N900 on T-Mobile 3G; I can do Skype calling over 3G when I want or when I need internet on the go, I can share the 3G over WiFi via an app called JoikuSpot.

13. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Virgin Mobile has a prepaid MiFi. It's being officially announced later this week, but it's already available at some BestBuy stores. I just bought mine this morning and its great :)

14. 22hand macrumors member

I am now using Huawei E5830, it's cool!! I would highly recommend.