Looking at buying a used iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brandonjr36, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

My little brother is looking at buying an iPhone 6 used. Anything I should look for while buying? Other then iCloud lock?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Is he going to use it for a lot of gaming and streaming?

If so, might want to go with a 6s or newer. The 6 only has 1GB of ram.

3. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No not really just calling texting maybe a game or 2 but he's coming from a droid maxx 2 so I'm sure it's still an upgrade

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK.

You may want to check that it doesn't have a business lock. There was a recent thread here about a user who got a new (used) phone. He Erased All Contents and Settings and was promptly met with a screen where he had to enter a a password for a business.

It's not iCloud lock but Apple has a program where business can install a corporate profile on the phones they own. Only those business can release their phones.

I'd suggest asking the seller to do an Erase All Content and Settings (or allowing you to do it) before any cash changes hands. This way you can see if it's iCloud locked or locked to a business.

If the phone is going to be activated on someone's plan you might also want to meet at the carrier store to see if it can be activated. Finding out it's blacklisted or attached to someone else's account (because it's not paid off) can be bad.

Just what I can think of off the top of my head.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you have access to the forum Marketplace, you might can find a iPhone 6 to your liking and price. Swappa is also a good place to look. In my opinion, it is much safer than Ebay.

@eyoungren gave you some excellent advice. Take heed.

6. fre3way macrumors member

I would avoid buying used - some places are still selling iPhone 6 that are new.

7. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

If your brother can swing it get the 6s it's a huge upgrade and much more future proof.

8. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

You didn't specify which country you are in, but I'm assuming you are referring to buying from someone met through Craigslist.

First, check serial and imei numbers for blacklist. I prefer buying a phone that has been used for a few months, and comes with the box and accessories. They are less likely to be stolen.

I avoid the brand new in box ones, as they may be purchased with fraudulent information.

Finally, give yourself a week monitoring the prices on Craigslist, and if something is too good to be true, it probably is.

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

All good advice in here from experienced forum members. I would just advise to meet at a local Police Department if possible. Good luck.

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

That may be too much. Perhaps meeting at a busy Starbucks during the day would do. For a 6, we are not talking about a lot of money, like 2-300.

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I disagree. And I'm Not insinuating it would be a situation where the buyer would be robbed or anything. Its not just about money. Its everything to do with the concern of weeding out somebody who is not a legitimate seller/buyer that won't meet at a Police Department, when keeping safety precautions in mind.

There are a lot of people who are not comfortable in unknown sales with strangers, this is one way that is more of an insurance policy than anything, when meeting at the Police Department

12. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I understand what you are trying to accomplish here. In practice, it's a hassle to sellers. I recently sold my 7+, to the first person that ask the least questions and ready to meet close to where I live. From posting to pickup, it took less than 2 hours.

Unless the seller is asking for a higher than normal price, he/she will not bother driving to the police station.

I suppose if you really want a seller to go the extra mile, you could offer more than the asking price. If I'm the seller, I would expect more $ if I have to "deliver" it to somewhere out of my way.

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Why is that a bit much? I would figure that just about any community has a police station that's not too far out of the way. Meeting there shouldn't really be any more difficult than meeting in any other public place.

14. Relentless Power, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Every situation will vary And clearly it's preference based . It all depends what's considered "Out of your way." Of all the sales I've ever conducted, it's been at Police Department, it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be the department you reside near, it can be with in the seller and buyers preference as well. The seller or buyer can make arrangements at a different department if they so wish. I Also understand that not everybody has a local Police Department within their reach. That's why every situation is different.

I have never had anybody refute or Refuse to meet me at the Police Department, where it's more in tandem for both parties. If They truly want the item, they will meet you regardless, it's still a safe bet. And if the buyer would refuse to meet me at the Police Department, then no sale. I will sell to the next individual. That's just my way, but I understand everyone is different.

And aside from the dollar amount you mentioned, it's not always about that, it's about having somebody that is willing to conduct the sale that is unsure of the other party or unknown factors. I agree it doesn't always have to be a Police Department, but that's how it's always worked for me and it's never been an issue before.

But if one is willing to meet at a public establishment, then that's obviously an option as well.

15. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I am speaking based on the last few times I bought something through Craigslist. Every time the seller expected me to meet where they live or close to where they live.

For a couple times I asked to meet at a carrier store, I never got a response. Again, I understand why you want to meet at the police station and I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm just saying that, based on my experience, most sellers won't bother.

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I would think that the seller would be as pleased to as the buyer. After all, if nothing sketchy is going on they should want to be safe too. I would have my doubts about anyone who wants to avoid a police station. As mentioned above, that's one reason to request it. If they say "no dice", well, they're not the only person in the world selling a phone. There'll be other opportunities. Better safe than sorry.

17. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Would authorities actually be happy with people meeting and selling phones??

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It doesn't matter what they'd be happy with or not. Police stations are public property. As long as participants are not doing anything illegal, disturbing the peace, or impeding the public the police would have no authority to tell them to go elsewhere or stop what they are doing.

Or put another way…"It's a free country."

19. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

They recommend it!

20. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I'm not worried about getting robbed. I got a 9mm for that if it comes down to it.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 8, 2017 ---
    But we met at the verizon store and he traded his maxx 2 for the iPhone. He seems to like the iPhone more. The maxx had a crack on the screen to. So I'm sure he got a decent deal considering the droid wasn't really worth anything.

21. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Concealed carry protection is always good. Glad to see everything worked out for your brother.

22. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks man.