Looking at buying an iPad, but........

Discussion in 'iPad' started by boy-better-know, Sep 12, 2010.

1. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I already have an iPhone 4. My interest has been boosted by the talk of the newer iPad with the facetime camera. However, I would like anyone who owns an iPad what they are like to use for word processing, I have a fantasy of using it to do uni work when I am away from my desk. Is it any good in this aspect?

Also, anyone who has both iphone and ipad (a lot of you i guess), do you find it to be useful still?

Thanks for any replies.

2. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I'm typing this on my iPhone, and it's a painful experience.

That being said, I returned my iPad for a bunch of reasons - one being that it completely sucks for word processing and heavy writing. Even an old typewriter would do a better job here than the iPad - an on screen keyboard is no viable substitute for a physical keyboard, plain and simple. Furthermore, Pages for iPad isn't a real word processing application either, it's nothing more than a glorified notepad.

The iPad wasn't designed for that kind of work. It might have its uses, but writing isn't one of them.

3. boy-better-know thread starter macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

that is what I thought with regard to typing, much prefer a keyboard.
    so I won't be using it for uni work. thanks, you have helped with the decision making process.

4. osiris24x macrumors member

osiris24x

I have to disagree with the above poster. I type fairly extensively with my iPad (using the onscreen keyboard) and can average 75 words per minute or so. The auto-correction definitely helps. I've only once paired my Apple wireless keyboard to the iPad (just for kicks).

I would suggest using an iPad in the Apple store to try and type a few forum responses and whatnot and see what you think.

It's also worth noting that the iPad version of Pages is pretty good (though limited) and is certainly capable of heavy word processing.

5. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

There are some other post on here about people using their ipads at universities. They also discuss the apps they use for note taking, and most appear quite happy.

6. gatearray macrumors 65816

While I can appreciate your personal opinion, it's unfortunate that you might inadvertently "poison the well" so to speak by proclaiming it as the definitive answer. I happen to feel exactly the opposite, and I'm not alone... You would really prefer and old fashioned typewriter to the iPad, it sucks that bad? What is the German word for "cuckoo"? :)

OP, typing on the iPad, as osiris24x mentioned, does not suck by any stretch of the imagination. Millions of us type just fine on our iPads, and Pages the word processor is so much more than a glorified Notes app, believe me. It's not a replacement for MS Word at this point, but neither is the afore-mentioned typewriter and a bottle of White-Out.

I would suggest you take the advice of osiris24x, and check one out in person at a retail store. I have typed pages and pages in Pages using the onscreen keyboard exclusively, have produced impressive documents and I rather enjoy it. You might as well, so give it a chance.

And yes, typing anything significant beyond a text message or brief email on the iPhone is indeed painful, so we're in complete agreement there, Winni. :)

Sent from my iPad.

7. bri1212 macrumors 6502

I have an Iphone4 and an Ipad

On my Ipad, I use the onscreen keyboard all of the time, and have gotten used to it. Thats not to say that it isn't completely frustration free. I can type about 60wpm on a regular keyboard, and about 30wpm on the onscreen keyboard. I also have the bluetooth keyboard, and that works great with the ipad.
    I use pages, but am not a huge fan. It is good for basic word processing, but if you need footnotes or other attributes it does not always format correctly when synced back to the computer. There are other apps that are good, but also are limited. Of these I like OfficeHD and an app from Documents to go.
    As far as having both Iphone and Ipad. I use my iphone for phone and texting mostly, some internet lookups and some games, but if my ipad is around, or even a computer, I am more likely to use those. My ipad is my primary email and web browser. So I never would think twice about having both, because I use them differently.

8. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

I think you'll find a wide variety of responses because personal preference is such a large factor. My own preference now is to use my iPhone 4 almost exclusively as a phone, as a music source, to check email, and to write short replies. Unless I am doing something that makes the iPad impractical (or makes me look more like a hopeless geek than usual), I hardly use my iPhone anymore for web surfing, looking at photos, playing games, or using most apps.

The large screen of the iPad makes much more difference than I ever would have guessed, and typing on its virtual keyboard is entirely different from typing on the iPhone. I also use the Bluetooth keyboard a great deal, and I have become very comfortable using touch instead of a mouse with it. I got used to Pages very quickly, and since it imports from and exports to Word effortlessly, it is very practical as a word processor. That being said, if I had something very long or requiring heavy collaboration and editing, I would use an MBP or an iMac.

I would guess that I now spend more time on the iPad than on the iPhone and computers combined. I think that is because I spend a lot more time reading than writing.

Hope my perspective helps, but look around because I know the views of many others have been posted on MacRumors.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well currently I'my using my iPad as a 2nd display with my MacBook Pro. I've got Windows 7 running in VWware fusion running full screen on the iPad, and the MBP's screen is dedicated to OS X. Its quite useful, there isn't to much lag either. I can watch netflix on my MacBook's screen and surf the web with the iPad using my mouse(or touch screen, the app allows that)

Its called Air Display and its like 10 dollars, well worth it!

Also I use the iPad for browsing sometimes, the UI is very nice. I have no regrets about the purchase.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I love typing on my ipad and I really liked using pages on it. That being said my word processing needs are basic and the longest report ive typed on it was only twelve pages.

I would say if you plan on using it for a lot of writing that you should probably look at getting the dock with the keyboard on it. I got really adjusted to typing on the screen and get around 95 words a minute so its not an issue to me. I really love my ipad and use it a lot for English classes and things.

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I think the iPad keyboard is fantastic. It is much better than typing on the iPhone. I disagree with the first poster. I think that pages is an excellent word processor. Unless you're doing super complicated stuff it will be able to handle most paper writing needs, and it can export the documents in various file types. Also with using Notes or Evernote it is a good note taking device in class too.

If you can to pick one up and play with it for few days. If you don't like it then return it. Using it just in the Apple store might not do it justice.

12. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Sorry but I totally disagree with this. The on-screen keyboard is acceptable for writing relatively short documents (or long ones if you get on with it, for me the feel of skin on glass starts to feel weird about 15 to 30 minutes into a session, typing speed is very good though) but when paired up with a bluetooth keyboard and a stand the iPad becomes possibly the best pure writing tool I've ever used. Why? Because a keyboard is vastly easier to position and work with than, say, a laptop and being able to go pretty much anywhere I want in the house and just write is a massive benefit for me. The real benefits though come in how I write.

I do a LOT of story writing and longer articles and I've found the iPad to be an absolutely liberating experience. I'll often just write out an outline straight, often without looking at the screen at all and just concentrating on the story I want to tell. Once that's done I can grab the iPad, ditch the keyboard and curl up somewhere to edit or make notes. Same goes when writing full chapters, albeit then I am looking at the screen for typos and sense checking. It just makes life so much easier when I can, for example, spend the evening writing then grab the iPad (no sync required), chuck it into a bag and spend my lunchtime editing with the on-screen keyboard. Basically it takes all the stuff that normally gets in the way on a laptop and throws it out the window giving a back-to-basics approach that really works for me.

That being said, if you prefer to write and edit as you go along then no, stick with a laptop / desktop. It's a better solution for that way of writing. Similarly if you need a lot of layout / editing control then the iPad is probably not for you. But as a pure writing tool it can be absolutely superb.

13. TangoDown macrumors regular

I find it a breeze to type on and make notes, wherever I am and the auto-correction in the most part does a good enough job. I use Notes a lot. Type, edit, then copy and paste. Easy.
    I just wish the space bar was a little bit taller! All my typos seem to be words with 'b', 'n' or 'm' in-between them instead of a space.. :eek:

14. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I have both an iPad & iPhone4, and I use both a great deal. I tend to use the iPad more for reading, emailing, surfing, some writing and watching videos. The iPhone gets used mostly for information on the go, music, camera/video, ... oh... and as a phone!

In my experience they compliment each other rather than duplicate function.

15. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

In doing research, where I have to take notes from books or capture short passages from various texts, I used to use a scanning pen (line by line scanning to an MBP); then I started to use MacDictate; now I type directly onto my iPad. Pages is a great notetaking tool because you can control fonts and formats (I don't need footnotes). I curl up on the recliner or wherever with my iPad and book. When I have to go to the library it will come with me. Completely portable. I used to use my iphone for portable notes, but that was frustrating to say the least.

There are also many notetaking apps for iPad that can record lectures, incorporate images, etc. I'm waiting for Circus Ponies
    ' Notebook app to come to iPad (soon, they say), and Devonthink Pro. Printing from iPad comes in November. It will only get more useful from now on.

16. boy-better-know thread starter macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

some useful replies, thankyou. :) I am fine at typing on my iP4 so I am happy with the onscreen keyboard. I will have a look in an apple shop at typing on the iPad.
    Really think I may buy one, it would be nice to use to write drafts if not anything else. Also as an internet browser around my house. Better than lugging the laptop around.
    Other than work related, is taking your iPad on a journey any good? considering my iPhone does a great job. What strenghts does the iPad have when goin on journeys for example. I would buy a 3g one.