Looking at buying an iPad2. Got a few questions?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joe schmoe, Dec 26, 2011.

1. joe schmoe macrumors newbie

Looking at buying an iPad2 for my mom as a e-book reader and probably using a few apps. She'll figure out that part of it.

Plan is for me to download the books via my wi-fi here at the house to the iPad and then take it to her in the Assisted Living facility...They don't have wi-fi...

When downloading the books, do they truly download (the whole book) or are they just read online?

Do most apps work without a wi-fi connection? or is it like my iPhone where you need either wi-fi or 3G for updating content for the iPad?

2. jmjoh122 macrumors member

jmjoh122

It will fully download the entire book. Depends on what apps youre talking about, but yes, some work on wifi only.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If your mom doesn't have wifi, she's not going to be able to download any apps. Many apps don't need an internet connection to work once they are downloaded, but you do need to be connected to download them. I think if reading books is the main thing, then you should consider one of the e-ink kindles with 3G. There's no fee for the 3G connection (Amazon subsidizes it), so you can download books anywhere you are, no wifi needed.

4. x986 macrumors regular

What he said. Much easier to read, lighter, and variable font size via "pinch".

5. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

True, Kindle's free 3G for downloading books is a consideration. And if used exclusively for reading, eink is better. And it's cheaper. But there are so many other things you can do with an iPad, even offline. Little games, family pictures, movies, podcasts, alarm clocks and calenders, just to name a few.

Of course you have to visit to update it. Going twice to get it and bring it back is inconvenient (for both of you) if you have a long drive. And movies take up a lot of room.

6. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Just run down the street to the nearest McDonalds, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, etc... that has free wifi.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

In my experience, public WiFi is so throttled to a point below usability.

8. joe schmoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the posts....I was unaware that the Kindle came with FREE 3G....

As for the round trip to update an iPad it's only 5 or 6 miles from my house to the assisted living facility...

I think the screen size of the iPad would be better than the 6" screen size of the Kindle as Mom already has glasses and is complaining about reading some books now....

Scaling on the 7+" 9+" screen on the iPad would probably be better...Just wasn't aware of some of the things you all have posted here....

Thanks!