looking at buying my first mac, advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DMGrier, Jul 26, 2008.

1. DMGrier macrumors newbie

Well I use windows computers and I'm not about to bash them but I've always wanted to try out a mac. So what I plan on doing is purchasing one of the G3 towers and loading osx leopard. I have heard that mac use a better software for what me and my wife want to do and I want to start recording the music I write and my wife wants to do some video stuff and stuff with pictures. Is it true that the mac has better software for that stuff? And will that OSX work on a older computer? I just want to not spend to much on a computer but if I like it in the future I will look into investing into a new mac. what are some other things that macs have over windows? Thanks for any info.

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Leopard is really nice, but it won't run on old G3 hardware.

If there's an Apple store near you locally, then why not go in and try out the machines they have in there?

There are also loads of threads on this site and others explaining what's great about the Mac :)

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The Mac does do an excellent job with the items you have mentioned.

However, using an older OS (all the way back to Leopard) on an older machine will be limiting for you. Make sure the software you use is compatible with Leopard and you will be fine, but just know the newer stuff will be significantly improved.

Wow... G3 and Leopard... I'm not sure this will give you are true picture of the Mac experience.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

MacDawg- Leopard is the current version of OS X ;)

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Doh... I should pay more attention!! :rolleyes:

I read G3 and assumed PANTHER

My bad

Uh, isn't everybody on Snow Leopard like me :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

:) So to avoid confusion:

Leopard = good.
    Mac = good.
    G3 = too old to run Leopard. Best to try out a Mac at a store, or buy a refurbished model.

7. DMGrier thread starter macrumors newbie

the only thing from what I have seen on the mac website is that there computers are pretty expensive, and I just bought a desktop 6 months ago. Where do I find there refurbished products from mac?

8. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Yes, the MAC has come along way from the Apple Ad in the superbowl many, many years ago. It has come along way from G3 Towers as well.
    Yep, a true MAC experience would be the new Hardware and Software as demonstrated at your local Apple Store.

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Try looking here. ;)

10. sabregreen macrumors member

You can install Tiger on a G3 tower. It will work fine, assuming you have at least 512 ram. Its more than the minimum spec, but for it being old, it will help compensate for the lack of processor speed.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You can get a Mac mini for $599 and you can connect it to most any LCD display or look for a refurb model.

12. DMGrier thread starter macrumors newbie

13. sabregreen macrumors member

Yes tiger is pretty good. I used it from when it came out till 10.5.2. I switched over after everything of mine worked on leopard.

14. ChocolateJesus macrumors member

I'd recommend..

I'm a new Mac user myself, and for your purposes I would get at LEAST a G4 machine. I just recently aquired a 12" Powerbook G4, running Tiger, and it is PERFECTLY suited to the machine. I work with Garageband, mostly for jamming purposes with my bass. Also, heavy web use, word processing, email (Use Apple's "Mail" client, you'll love it), and some light gaming.

I also have a G3 iMac (specs below), and I can tell you that while it is definitely usable for browsing and music, IM, etc, the G4 absolutely obliterates it in speed, and allows one to do much more with their machine.

Just my $0.02.

15. sabregreen macrumors member

For the price, I would get at the very least, the fastest g4 powerbook, depending on the size you want. 1.5ghz for 12", 1.67 for 15" and 17". I would highly recommend an intel mac though. Huge difference. The g4 and early models are pretty slow compared to the intel and g5 models.

16. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Tiger is a good choice for you, but without knowing your budget it's kind of hard to make a recommendation. Any of the G4 machines (mini, PB, etc.) would probably be a good starter Mac for you.

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

At least purchase a G4. There are some nice G4 towers on ebay for $2-300 capable of running Leopard. Or some slower ones capable of running Tiger. A G3 can run Tiger, and run it well, its just likely too slow for the applications your looking at running.

Would you want to edit video and make music on a 10 year old computer?

Whichever machine you buy, of that age, your looking at some upgrades, and then the copy of Leopard or Tiger itself. Your better off selling your PC and replacing it with a Mac Mini, since you can run Windows at native speeds on it as well as OS X, you basically don't need another computer.

18. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You cannot run Leopard on a G3. If you are talking about hacking type installs it doesn't count and it's not worth the trouble.

20. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

To the OP:

Either get a new Mac Mini for $599, or keep looking at the Apple refurb store for a 1.66 Mac Mini(512mb, 60GB). I saw it for $429 not too long ago. Just keep your eye out for it. It comes preinstalled with Leopard and runs great compared to any G3 and will even be equipped to handle the new Snow Leopard OS which no G3 or G4 will.

21. trek1500 macrumors member

trek1500

I just got a Macbook Pro and I love it! if you're looking for an OS that will help you manage your video and photo content you can't go wrong with a Mac...iLife 08 which is part of the suite of programs that comes with a new Mac is the best for managing photos & video. You can be so creative with your productions! It's amazing how professional the end product ends up!
    I would recommend a Mac Mini if you're looking for an economical way to get into a Mac.

For video and photo editing you can't beat a Mac. Plus..make sure you sign up for mobileme..it's a great way to manage your email and contacts..as well as sharing your photos with family & friends!

I love my Mac and I've only had it a week!