Looking at getting a new Apple laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sacred, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Sacred macrumors member

Hey,

After all the problems I've faced with my MBP 17" which is now around 3 years old I just wanted to advice from you guys here as to which model I should be looking at as a replacement // upgrade.

I've looked at the laptops Apple offer and their macbook range seems very nice (although incredibly pricey all of a sudden???) however I'm not overly keen on the new everything in aluminum look that there going for, are these the latest revisions of their cheapest laptop range? (approx how long ago were they update // when is the next revision expected)

I would prefer to downsize somewhat as although my 17" laptops amazing for watching DVDs or playing games I want to have increased portability. I'm looking at starting a photography degree upon completion of my business degree in September 2010. So would need a laptop thats suitable and portable for editing photos, creating various media for my photography and for doing any assignments on using word processing. I would also require the usual internet browsing, music, DVDs etc (no need for gaming I've got a vista machine for that)

Also what is the resale like on a MBP 17" 2.16GHz (pretty sure its the first MBP 17" edition, so yes it suffers from being excessively hot and quite loud cooling fans both of which Apple totally deny exist even though I've had it sent back three times!!)

Oh and if it makes any difference I'm buying from the UK store and am a student at Leeds Met so will get some student discount (I'm not sure what the on-campus discount for leeds met students is anyone know?)

Thanks,
    Sacred

2. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

All of the pricy aluminum ones just came out, so they will be here a while. I would suggest that you check out the refurb and clearance pages at apple for an early 2008 15" MBP with matte screen. If they don't have one, look at a reseller like macmall.

3. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

ive ordered a battery from macmall before. their service is good. so if you end up getting something used there you should be ok.

Do you like glossy or matte screen or does it matter. that will narrow your choices down. if a glossy screen doesnt bother you and you already have a gaming machine a used black macbook is a great choice. I have one and I love it. You should be able to get one for 699 or something now.

you could always look at the new macs in stores. personally I dont care for them. I cant stand that new depressing trackpad design. just give me a normal button. Im a firm believer that newer isnt always better :)

good luck

4. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

I'd recommend going to the store to check them out in person. Personally i love my macbook air due to its portability. If your needs are light, get the air. the macbook pro is a nice compromise for you if you need more from the laptop.

once you decided what you want, it'd be cheaper to order a refurb or new one online

5. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I too would get a MBP rather than an Air. I have a 17" MBP and for the same reasons you have quoted, I love it but I'm getting a Mac Pro in the Spring and will probably resell this laptop. I will get a 15" MBP.

MBPs hold their price well. Check out eBay prices to see how much they're going for.