Looking at getting a new macbook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dbwrobel, Jun 20, 2010.

1. dbwrobel Guest

Hi, I currently own a 2008 24" Aluminum iMac (3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb ram, 500 gb hd, Geforce 8800), 32GB Wifi iPad, and 16GB iPhone 3GS.

After using this workflow for a while now I have been having more and more trouble justifying all the devices and I'm finding I can't do what I want to on the road with my iPad - I'm pretty much only able to do what I need to on the iMac at home (but even this is starting to get a bit dated now).

I am currently a graduate student in engineering and I also do work on the side in video production and programming. Because of this I've started looking at the Macbook Pros (as well as upgrading my iphone in a few weeks) to replace part of my line up listed above (ie. selling the iMac, iPad and simply going with the Macbook Pro/iPhone combo). This I was thinking would give me access to a half decently power computer nearly everywhere I go (which is usually either to school on the train and then around campus, where I almost always have my bag with me) - for the very light stuff I think I could stick to the iPhone (ie. light gaming, communication, etc).

Anyone have any recommendations as to what would be a good all around purchase out of the macbooks (or if I should just keep what I have)? For engineering, I normally use Matlab as well as some other CFD applications. On the video/programming side its Final Cut Studio, Blender, After Effects and XCode.

2. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

What kind of engineering? Very little engineering software runs on Mac platforms. SolidWorks, Pro Engineer, AutoCAD, MasterCAM are all optimized for PC's.

3. dbwrobel thread starter Guest

Its aerospace/CFD stuff, some of the software is proprietary that I am using, I also am currently using Matlab on OS X, the other stuff I use is on Windows.