Looking at getting new laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by markgodley, Mar 25, 2009.

1. markgodley macrumors regular

hey,

I currently have a powerbook g4, 1.5ghz 15" its around 3 years old.

Looking at getting a new laptop, this laptop weighs me down on the way to uni. Battery lasts 1 hour if im lucky, im not spending $140 on new one from apple.

Not really up to date with my mac news. Was looking at the white powermac but has ddr2 ram, then powerbook with ddr3 ram looks tempting at only a bit more expensive. Just wondered if their is going to be a new laptop coming out soon or due for any announcements. I dont wanna buy then 1 month later a new one comes out.

Advice would be great, im in no rush really to get one...but it would be nice.

thanks!

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

Check out the 'Buyer's Guide' tab at the top of the web page. It'll show you the history for when MacBooks and MacBook Pros are usually updated.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Nothing wrong with todays MACBOOKS (no longer powerbooks my friend), Unless you want to wait to get the latest and greatest, i would just get one now and be happy with it.

4. markgodley thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the replies. Ive looked in the buyers guide but couldnt see the history of when the macbooks were released?

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm pretty sure that Powerbooks ran out in '06 or '05

6. markgodley thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh come to think of it, it was around 2005 i got my laptop. How long ago did those macbook come out, the aluminum one?

7. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

What is the main purpose you will be using it for? Then i can help :confused:

8. markgodley thread starter macrumors regular

Ah i found the page, it says not to buy unless i need it.

Mainly running my site from it, nothing demanding really. Just need a LONG battery life, hear the new macs offer upto 5 hours. Bit of photoshop, word, mainly for emails. But on the move alot and need something new and reliable.

When is the next mac show, that could be an annoucement for something new in the macbook area?

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

I think the next official Apple show is the WWDC sometime in May, but it seems like when they release new products, they'll throw together an unscheduled show a week or two before the products are launched.

I wonder if they'll wait til after the summer to do the next revision of MacBooks? Over the summer they usually do the "Back to School" special where you can get a free iPod with the purchase of a MacBook.

10. markgodley thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the information, ill prob hold out then. Can use my 15% student discount also :)

11. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Yeah it seems they wait until after the back to school rush to update any products (except iphone) so they can clear out old stock and so they could have a great new thing for the holiday season.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Wait for the Back-To-School promotion. You get a free iPod with any Mac purchase. Factor in the $100 rebate on a printer and your educational discount, you get an awesome deal. I'm planning to replace my broken MacBook (won't boot from battery) with a unibody MBP this summer and hoping to get the printer + iPod and my education discount.

13. SecondDealer macrumors regular

The reason I first converted to Mac was because of their educational discount, I got a $200 discount, a $110 wifi HP printer for 10 bucks and an Ipod Touch for free that I then sold online to off set the price of my computer. The MB is a great choice if you're looking to do most things but if you're a serious gamer like I am you may want to think about getting a MBP, congrats in advance on your new tech.