Looking at new HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patput99, Jul 26, 2012.

1. patput99 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm looking at getting a new internal drive for my 2009 MBP. The Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB was what I was thinking about to replace the 160GB drive that came with my MBP. I've got a few questions though before I take the plunge.

First off, is this drive compatible with my Macbook? Secondly if I get it how should I go about cloning my current drive? I've read that an external enclosure is the easiest way, but I'd rather not spend the extra money on something I'd only use once. Would it just be possible to disconnect my CD drive and use the SATA port from that to clone it? How about putting both drives in my desktop and cloning them from there?

Thanks for any replies!

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

you would have to completely remove the cd drive, and even then i think you need an adapter to connect the drive but i might be wrong...save yourself the trouble spend the extra $6 and buy this enclosure

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Port...49452&sr=8-9&keywords=external+sata+enclosure

also your desktop will not read OSX partitions so you're out of luck there, but as far as cloning it, use carbon copy cloner its free, i used it to clone my mechanical drive to my SSD when i got it

3. jcpb macrumors 6502a

You can re-use that external enclosure for Time Machine after said cloning is done, you simply need the hard drive itself to have enough room to hold the backups.