Looking At Possibilities

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by slider937, Nov 22, 2010.

1. slider937 macrumors newbie

slider937

Im in film school and i dont know much about macs becasue im use to pc and ive gotten to the point to where sony vegas isnt cutting it so i was wondering can i run Final cut pro on a mac book pro or am i waisting my time

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Depends on the types of projects you'll be doing and the rendering speed you're interested in achieving. If you're looking for a portable option, definitely go for the 15" MBP as the discrete GPU will certainly help. Any ideas on budget?

3. slider937 thread starter macrumors newbie

slider937

4. slider937 thread starter macrumors newbie

slider937

i have a Mac G4 at the moment i was running vegas on pc but my budget is 2000

5. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Yeah, you can definitely get the base 15" MBP for $1800, and that should run Final Cut Pro fine. Instead of getting the $2000 version, I'd recommend adding the Hi-Res, anti-glare BTO on the base 15", as both those options should greatly help video work.

6. dissolve macrumors 6502a

If you want to stick with only a laptop (not notebook + desktop combo) I'd say get the best you can afford. Since most laptop components aren't upgradeable, you'll want to get it right on BTO. There are many, many options, but I think an i5 or i7 15" MBP would be great. There are terrific deals on the refurb site. I think this would last you quite a while:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC373LL/A?mco=MTgxMzM0Mjk

7. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Agreed. Take a look at the Refurbished section as well as you may save a few hundred as well.

8. toxic macrumors 68000

what's wrong with Premiere? Final Cut still isn't multithreaded, and no one really knows when it'll finally be updated.

9. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Shhh we've almost got him ;)

But, really, that's a good point. OP, have you tried out Premiere? When I used it several years ago, I wasn't a fan and enjoined FC much more. Things certainly have changed, but preference is a matter of opinion. Shame that FC isn't getting the support it deserves.

10. slider937 thread starter macrumors newbie

slider937

thanks for the help now correct me if im making a mistake by saying i was thinking about keeping the g4 and running final cut express and buy a i mac and running final cut pro on it that way i can be mobile and do all my effects at home